no, YOU'RE off topic
Turkey and football are two pillars of the American Thanksgiving tradition, so I've combined the two into one disgusting image that I sincerely hope does not spoil your Thanksgiving appetite.
On my list of things that are worthy of giving thanks, there are many things that come before Michigan football. But not that many things. After two losing seasons, and in the midst of infighting amongst fans, it's easy to overlook the positives and forget about what we love about Michigan football. Now, I won't find seven or eight wins acceptable in any future season, but this is one example of something that is worth being thankful for given the current state of the program: a winning season. Here's the rest of my 2010 Michigan Football Thanksgiving list of thankful giving of thanks:
An explosive offense.
Cease & desist letters for fake action figures that are not followed by lawsuits.
Tiny recievers who block like linemen.
Huge recievers who turn 50-50 jump balls into touchdowns.
Roy Roundtree's dependability.
My daugter's winged helmet beanie.
A 'scrappy' backup quarterback (with wings on his helmet and everything).
Having not one, but two Michigan games to look forward to after Thanksgiving.
Watching Michigan vs Ohio State with friends and family.
The ability, time and venue to share my art with fellow fans.
The image below is a preview only. You can get the widescreen, 4:3, iPad and mobile wallpapers at The Art. The Art. The Art!.
How it was made
I've captured the creation of this special edition Thanksgiving wallpaper artwork and sped up the footage to condense a little over 2 hours of design time into just under 2 minutes of video. Watching this video is a little like watching Martha Stewart prepare a meal, but without Martha Stewart, without the food and without a purpose.
All of the 2010 Wallpapers
I know this post won't mean jack shit for those of you that have made up your mind about this team/coach/whatever, but I want to preserve this for the hell of it. Our top 6 players on this young defense are either out or recovering from significant injuries this week, prior to playing a top 5 team on the road. In no particular order:
- Mike Martin - beast NT and most important player on D by a long shot. Big ankle injuries that have kept him out or at 25% effectiveness since MSU cheap-shotted him.
- Troy Woolfolk - as we all know, big ankle injury, out for the season. Very good and likely fringe All-B10 type of player this year.
- Kenny Demens - This guy has come on strong as a good to great MLB. He also has a concussion and will be out for OSU.
- Roh - Excellent on the DL as a DE. He is recovering from a concussion.
- Mouton - streaky but experienced OLB that is able to make some plays. Good size. Recovering from torn pectoral muscle.
- Floyd - Other starting CB and only other member of the CB corps with any experience
Rogers, the other CB, has also gone down several times in games with injuries. So what's left of the starters? RVB, Fitz, a former walk-on, and 2-4 true/RS freshmen. Oh, and a ton of their backups are injured, too.
Oh what the hell, let's do the offense too, shall we?
- QB - Denard is not 100% and hasn't been for a while. Gardner is also either injured or "injured."
- RB - Shaw has been injured most of the year and would have been option 1 or 2.
- RB - VSmith is coming off a bad concussion and would have been option 1 or 2.
- RB - Fitz is perpetually injured and has the potential to be a top back for us.
- WR/Slot - Odoms is out for the year. He is a great, tough, experienced receiver.
- WR Hemingway - Concussion, out. YAC wizard, big play guy.
- WR/KR Stonum - Injured, out. Deep threat and great KR.
- WR/KR/PR Gallon - Injured, out.
- LT Lewan - coming off injury. Young Jake Long.
- RT Dorrestein - coming off injury, not 100%. Reliable, experienced guy.
Look, I know some of you will say this is an excuse. Honestly, though, you are just kidding yourselves. Injuries clearly matter. There is a point at which any reasonable person will concede that a team has a greatly reduced chance at winning tough games due to injuries. If these lists don't do it for you, fine, but ask yourself - at what point do the injuries matter? Do we have to lose the entire fucking 2 deep on both sides of the ball before we can admit that injuries are a valid point/excuse/whatever?
Or just look at this the other way - where would OSU be if their top 6 defenders were either injured or coming off injuries? What if they lost their top 3 RBs, top 4 WRs, and top 2-3 choices for KR/PR? I bet you would then admit that OSU would be easier to beat. Some of you might even dismiss our victory as hollow or less meaningful if we did beat this injured OSU squad.
Meh. Either way I'm going to watch and cheer this weekend. I'm going to be proud of our players for gutting it out all year in difficult circumstances. Like always, you won't find me melting down after a loss if it happens. Perspective, people.
Need all the help we can get.
This can be locked and doesn't require discussion but instead thrown up to decimate the Lynn Henning article and the 9 other bs notions that have gone out and around the past week:
UM Ath Dept officials told WTKA that the evaluation of the football program will be like all teams -- after the season, including postseason (HT: MichiganInsider)
Rodriguez will not be fired Monday. He will not be fired after the game Saturday to a chorus of boos by the OSU faithful. He will not be fired in the Shoe. He will not be fired with a fox, he will not be fired in a box.
tl;dr version: Successful Reporter Troll is Successful
Edit: Dave Brandon chimes in
DaveBrandonAD Dave BrandonHeard about a "rumor" re: some "big announcement" on Monday regarding M-Football. Add it to the rumor rubbish pile! Happy Thanksgiving!
Annual "OSU Destruction" Hate Week pic for anyone that wants to add some hate to their internet identity
As has become my custom the last few years, I have used powerful digital imaging technology for the forces of good and fashioned some glorified OSU gore for folks to use as their facebook images (or whatever) during Hate Week.
Previous Hate Week pics: