this week in unintentionally grim-sounding recruiting headlines
So this is how DB plans to pay for those new score boards...This must be why Hoke was our #1 all along...
I’ve been a huge Michigan fan for as long as I can remember. I live on MgoBlog and live for the Maize and Blue. Since Brady Hoke has been hired I have been disgusted with the behavior and posts of some of my so called Michigan fans. Now I am not saying Brandon handled the coaching search well but we don’t know whatsoever what was happening behind the scenes. What I do know is he hired Hoke. Now Hoke does not have the so called sizzle factor like Les Miles but FWIW all the former players love him to death so that should count for something. This guy didn’t play for Michigan or go there. All he did was coach for a bit for Michigan and you know what…HE LOVES THIS PLACE AND WHAT IT IS ABOUT. So much so he told SDU that he would leave in a heartbeat if Michigan came calling. Now in my opinion that is a “Michigan Man” and he loves the Maize and Blue. I’m disgusted that people are hating on him before he has even coached a game here. Give the guy a chance. We need to unite behind him. Yeah fan support doesn’t get people fired or hired but a united fan base is a powerful thing. At the tailgate, and at the game. He is our coach. A ESPN writer wrote that Auburn fans threw a fit when they hired Chizik because of his record. Well I think they are doing pretty good now even though they pay for players.Just because he doesn’t have the “sizzle” doesn’t mean he will be terrible. He brought with him a O coordinator with a lot of experience that had a SD offense outperforming ours as far as stats. Yeah they play in a weak conference but we didn't exactly perform well againgst teams that were actually good. All I am saying is we don't need to have a fractured fan base and have factions against the guy from the start. Let us please give this guy a chance to coach the team before passing opinions on him. Let us please give the negative comments a rest. In my opinion anyone that is bitching about this guy is a "bandwagon" fan. I'm just excited to go to the first game and see the student section dressed in Maize hokeamaniac T shirts with blue bandanas on and golden lochs.
So I'm assuming Hoke is going to be giving a half-time speech at the basketball game. With that being said what do you want him to say? I'd like to say I want him to say something like Tressel did but then it'd just be what Tressel did so I'm not really sure what to hope for other than something that gets me pumped and looking forward to our 2011 Football Squad and not just hoping we don't get blown out.
What about you guys? Is there anything Hoke could say at halftime that would quiet the non-believers (SHUN THE NON-BELIEVERS!, search YouTube for Charlie the Unicorn, I'd link but YT is blocked at work...)? Either way, here's hoping it gets everyone pumped up and, fingers crossed, we start his tenure off with the BBall team beating tOSU.
Guy sure loves getting paid off of Michigan coaching changes
I won't be able to watch this afternoon's press conference for our new coach, but it might be fun to guess what words/phrases he may focus on to get his point across.
"Physical" o/u 6.5 times
"Tough" o/u 4.5 times
"Get back to playing Michigan football" o/u 2.5 times
"Get bigger" o/u 2.5 times
"Get stronger" o/u 2.5 times
"Get faster" o/u .5 times
"Michigan family" o/u 3.5 times
"Denard" o/u 1.5 times
"Carr" o/u 1.5 times
"Rich Rodriguez" o/u .5 times
"1997" o/u 2.5 times
"Ohio State" o/u 1.5 times
"Michigan State" o/u .5 times
"Rose Bowl" o/u 2.5 times
"decided schematic advantage" o/u .5 times
...add your guesses and other words/phrases as you like. Here's hoping for a good, informative press conferenec!
There have been a lot of questions about where we're at, and what's happening so I'm going to do a mini update so everyone is caught up on where we're at. We obviously won't know some aspects of what will happen until Brady Hoke assembles his staff, and starts to actually make phone calls and visits.
- There's been a rumor that LB Kellen Jones decommitted, which is not true. I spoke with his dad today, and he told me that's not even close. If the Michigan coaches tell Kellen that they want him just as much as the previous coaching staff did then he will be in Ann Arbor. Kellen is visiting Colorado this weekend, because it's already set up, and it's just for fun. He is supposed to take a visit out to Miami, but they're not sure if that will even happen. Kellen still feels the same about Michigan, he's just covering himself for just in case.
- Kris Frost hasn't heard from Auburn yet. If they say no, there's a good chance he'll come to Michigan. If they say yes, then as far as I understand someone else will lose their spot.
- K Matt Goudis and DB Dallas Crawford are visiting Miami this weekend. Dallas knows that Michigan has hired a new coach, and has started to do research on him.
- WR Devin Lucien is a recruit that has been waiting for Michigan to make a hire so he can visit. He still wants to talk to the coaching staff to make sure his offer will be honored, but he was being recruited by San Diego State. Michigan has a great chance with Devin.
- OL Chris Bryant is announcing at the end of January, but this hire for Michigan also helps with him. Michigan is in the lead.
- The only current commits we need to monitor really are Dallas Crawford, Matt Goudis, and Jake Fisher. Blake Countess will just require a phone call to make sure everything is in order, and we should be good to go with everyone else.
If you have any other questions, or if I'm forgetting anything ask in the comments and I'll try to get it answered. It's going to be an ongoing update as the coaches start to reach out to commits and recruits.