alternate headline: man does job
hearing it reported that a college football game is not an "official" game unless it goes for three full quarters. anybody have confirmation/explanation of this issue?
also, just took a look at advanced weather forecast and it's bleak again in AA for Sept 10 - ugh.
Got back from the, kinda wet, but kinda awesome. Ready for some more FOOTBALL, assuming we all keep power tonight. LSU/Oregon the big one, but there are other games of note for sure (any final word on what the hell they're doing in South Bend?). So, get something to eat, dry off, and let's welcome a good start to college football.
- Mattison's defensive schemes looked better than GERGs
- Good blitzing and opportunistic defensive play
- Kovacs, Herron and Demens
- Team looked more disciplined on both sides of the ball than last year...no turnovers and only 1 penalty
- Both Spread-Option and West Coast stuff worked...having more variety in our arsenal may bail us out at some point down the road
- Denard is still Denard
- Shaw and Fitz, Koger and Roy
- Special teams remain too "special"
- Not enough pressure from our front 4 on defense
- Cornerbacks still very bad
- Wow we really couldn't cover that one guy they kept throwing to over and over again, could we?
- I know it's dangerous and all, but seeing a football game called in the 3rd quarter was disappointing
- Craig James, on several occassions, calling spread-option formations "pro style"
So... time to start dissecting the defense. Even though the game got called short, we got a full game's worth of defensive snaps thanks to the TDs. My thoughts:
- They don't look great. Minus the 2 obviously awesome plays, the defense was getting picked apart, bit by bit. They did a lot of quick throws to neutralize the pass rush, which should be one of our strengths, and exposed the coverage.
- They didn't give up the big play. While getting dinked and dunked for yardage and first downs is bad, they did not give up crippling plays. This gives me a small amount of hope that we'll be only a slightly below average defense.
- Turnovers and big plays!!! OMG, please yes more of this.
Agreement/disagreement? Other insights???
The games been called and Michigan gets the win