in town for free camps
I want to try something different here:
I want people to express their opinions on the Hoke hiring without any fear of replies and having to defend themselves. To do so, PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO ANY POSTS HEREIN! Simply express your initial gut reaction to the hiring and then bite your tongue and simply read the others. For what its worth, I'll be awarding +1 to all "real" responses and giving a big -1 to any replies to posts.
I'll start: My initial reaction is one of disgust. Not necessarily unhappiness about the man that is Hoke but in expectations having not been met. After finally coming to terms with the Rodriguez firing, I had high expectations about who the next coach would be. Gruden! Petersen! Patterson? No Harbaugh or Miles! To come to this final result is so much more depressing - it's disgusting. And the blame falls squarely on Brandon.
Let me first tell you, my brother in-law Allen is the son of a very important man at U of M. He has been close to all the coaches at Michigan since he was young (Bo,Gary,Lloyd,RR).
Well yesterday we had the family over and Allen walked through the door with ten bags of Michigan gear he got from some of the coaches. He told me he took what he wanted and I could have the rest, so like a kid at christmas I began going through all the bags and found almost all of the stuff is new. There is also alot of kids suff.
I also tried to find out what Allens dad knows, and how the coaching search was going, but he won't say a thing.
Take it fwiw but Rivals' Chris Balas created a post that sent The Fort into a tailspin of anarchy. It's since been deleted but it appears to have been centered on Hoke being the choice/inevitable selection. I believe it was a "strong gut feeling" which aka equals death.
Cue chaos/panic/Brian 504'ing the website into oblivion.
Yes, it's a rumor. Yes, they get stuff wrong. But to come out with that in the midst of the present Baton Rouge insanity is bad news bears.
Amidst all the speculation about WHO Dave Brandon might or might not be interviewing soon, I’d like to focus on this: If you’re Brandon, *what* questions would you ask potential HC candidates in a sit-down interview?
Here’s a few I’ve come up with – what would you add?
1) Let’s say I offer you the job. You now have XX days to complete the 2011 recruiting class. How do you plan on retaining current commits and convincing other potential recruits to commit to Michigan in such a short time frame? What’s your “pitch” to them about your plans for the future of the program, and why they should come to Michigan during this transition to a new coach?
2) What will you say to the current players in your first meeting with the team? How will you convince those who might be unsure about staying at Michigan that they should remain Wolverines?
3) How quickly can you put together a coaching staff? Which members of your current staff would you ask to come to Ann Arbor, and how likely are they to accept?
4) What’s the one (or two or three) thing(s) you would do immediately to bring about substantial improvement in our on-field performance, particularly against our “benchmark” peers? (i.e., ND, msu, Iowa, Wisconsin, Penn St., Ohio St.)
5) How would you adjust your overall approach to take advantage of the specific players/talent currently on the team?
6) How do you plan on uniting a divided fan base? What’s the first thing you’ll say to them if you’re introduced as the new coach?