For all you PBS fans "Wolverine - Chasing the Phantom" will be premiering this weekend on Nature - Sunday night here in NY. Saw the trailer - looks like some pretty awesome camera work. Key lines - "nobody can keep up with a wolverine" and - "what they can do is beyond human". Should make a fine end to a successful weekend. Intro here:
Our video geeks should be able to have some fun with this
Here's how it breaks down according to Rivals:
"Scouting The Offense: The Wolverines are dealing with uncertainty at the quarterback position, where QB Denard Robinson leads the Big Ten with 150 yards rushing per game, but he had to leave the Illinois game in the fourth quarter with concussion-like symptoms. He is expected to be available for the game with Purdue, but Robinson’s durability is suspect, since knee and shoulder injuries have also knocked him out of previous games. Should Robinson be sidelined, Michigan has a different offense, but not necessarily an ineffective one. QB Tate Forcier filled in for Robinson and led the Wolverines to the triple-overtime win against Illinois with his passing and running."
"Scouting The Defense: The Boilermakers have had the heart of their offense removed when season-ending injuries claimed their top receiver, running back and quarterback, so the Purdue team Michigan faces is somewhat limited in its options. Michigan’s struggling defense will be best served by living with the blitz and hoping to force mistakes aplenty from Purdue’s trio of young quarterbacks."
OK, so Robinson is an uncertainty? Really? According to whom?
We beat Illinois on the last play by blitzing, so we have to live by the blitz? What?
So, the general mood on this blog seems to be that next year the defense could be better. All the freshman in the secondary will be experienced sophomores, plus Woolfolk and Floyd will be back (bonus question: what about Byron Moore, any update on him?) We don't lose anyone off the D line, so they'll be improved.
However, what will the two-deep at linebacker look like? I guess I have a hard time believing that the loss of Mouton, Ezeh, and Moundros will equate to a better linebacking crew, and I kind of look at linebacker as the weakness of next year's D, much like the secondary is this year. I know Demens will be starting, but what will the two deep look like? And is there really any chance that they'll be any good?
Michigan vs Missouri in Insight Bowl
MSU vs Alabama in Capital One Bowl
MSU gets blown out
I just saw that the announcement will be carried live at 7pm. Here is the link
Ann Arbor.com's James David Dickson deserves massive credit for this article for Michigan Today about retired numbers in Michigan athletics.
Among the money points in this article:
- "former head football coach Lloyd Carr said he "was never under the impression" that it was in his power to retire a jersey."
- "One of athletic director Dave Brandon's priorities is setting a consistent standard for retiring jerseys at U-M."
- "Former head coach Lloyd Carr said that while it might be easier to simply avoid the controversy of retiring football jerseys, that wouldn't be the right thing. Carr is part of a preliminary and advisory committee Dave Brandon put together to explore the issue."
- "I'm not saying it should just be Heisman winners, because that eliminates certain positions," Carr said. "There's also a number of Schembechler players who should get a look, but I'm not going to publicly get into naming names."
- Only Cazzie Russell's #33 is retired by the basketball team, all of the others in the rafters are "honored" and can be issued again.
- Red, not big on retiring numbers because he only likes to issue numbers between 1-39.
The "backlog of Schembechler players who should get a look" has to include Anthony Carter, which would mean that both Michigan players who were three time all-America would be honored. Except, oh, wait, that's the #1 and that's a whole thing and a thing.
I hope they don't retire Desmond's 21, because I like seeing it out there.
If they do retire any numbers in hockey, it should be the #9 and it should be for both Red and Brendan Morrison, unless you wanted to retire "The Unit" for Red.