this week in unintentionally grim-sounding recruiting headlines
I was looking over some mock NFL drafts, and saw that most had the Lions taking either an outside LB or a O lineman.
Not that I think Backus is great, but I kind of think the Lions are OK with their O-line. While Stafford's 18 injuries beg to differ, I think the Lions would be best served filling some gaps on the D.
A CB would be ideal, but I doubt the top two (Petterson, and guy whos last name I'm too lazy to look up from Nebraska) are still around.
My hope? Linebacker. Seems to have been a need for the Lions for as long as I can remember.
Either way what do some of my Lion brethern think?
Spath just posted at Rivals that AZ OL Ryan Nowicki will be staying home this weekend and will remain committed to Penn State.
Cactus coach Larry Fetkenhier said Nowicki has decided not to visit Ann Arbor this weekend and will stick with his Penn State commitment.
“This is a great kid and doesn’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings, but it’s reached the point where he’s happy with his original decision,” Fetkenhier said.
This pretty much makes Jake Fisher and Chris Bryant our only remaining OL targets. Rivals seems fairly upbeat about Bryant; Fisher is more of a mystery.
Has Coach Hoke visited Jacob Fisher yet? Here's hoping it goes well and that Fisher recommits to Michigan!
Tom is having trouble posting on the site, so follow him on Twitter for the latest updates - Tim
- TX TE Chris Barnett. Arkansas soft commit. Also considering Texas A&M and others.
- MI RB Thomas Rawls. Looking for a Michigan offer (waiting on a qualifying test score). Announcing on Signing Day.
- OH LB Commit Antonio Poole. Committed to Michigan Tuesday.
- MD DT Darian Cooper. Had an in-home with DC Greg Mattison yesterday. Scout's Gene Hankerson is feeling good about the situation there. Iowa and Michigan State are the main competition. Iowa was out in front, who knows if the news that they try to kill their players will affect him.
- OH DE Commit Keith Heitzman. Committed last Saturday.
Arizona OL Ryan Nowicki is not coming. He has been telling me he feels good about being committed to Penn State, so it's not a big surprise. They were in on Ryan late anyway, so it shouldn't come as a shock to anyone.
Don't be surprised if some of these guys end up committing to Michigan on Signing Day - or even before that, if the visit weekend goes well. Expect some of Michigan's current commits to unofficially visit as well.
The list is subject to change over the next 24 hours. Stay tuned for updates.
It's a long shot but who knows.
Scout's Eugene Hankerson tweeted that he feels good about "this one" and I think he's talking about Darian Cooper, but it isn't clear. Can anyone with access to Scout premium confirm? Because everyone else seems to think that while Cooper is visiting, we don't have a good shot. Landing Cooper would be a huge coup, pardon the pun, b/c we desperately need a DT.