...says Denzel Valentine of Big Ten Tourney favorite MSU, which is 5-7 in its last 12 games. Cumong, man.
He said he is looking at the five schools with a fresh set of eyes and is open to each option.
“I’ve got no favorites,” he said. “I’m looking for a good education, good football, the personality of the coaches and players, the campuses, I’m looking at everything.”
He added that he will also look at how each school fares this season, and examine rosters and other incoming recruits.
[Ed-M: Interesting thoughts. Not a diary, really, though. Retitiled and thumped to board]
I am proposing a contract extension for Rich Rodriguez immediately to calm the waters in this crazy time for Michigan football. I apologize in advance for formatting, I am typing on my Blackberry.
With so much drama around the program at this time, recruits have to be asking questions and current players may be nervous about the future of the coaching staff they came to Michigan to play for. David Brandon should offer Rich a 2 year extension at the current terms of Rich's deal. Under the current terms, Rich can be fired "with cause" for major NCAA violations. M has already admitted to multiple major violations under Rodriguez. Due to this fact, a 2 year extension really obligates the university to nothing (lawyers, please feel free to refute this).
Rich could still be fired at the end of the season if Brandon thinks it is necessary. In my opinion, the pros of doing this far outweigh the cons. I am sure the media would go crazy and Rich Rod haters would be flooding Brandon's mailbox. However, it would be a statement to recruits that the coaching situation is stable. We would also be locking Rich in to a few more years when his value is at its lowest point in years. This is a great time to buy Rich Rod stock.
This weekly update will be a little sparse. Since there was a bye then an away game, there wasn't much that happened that I haven't reported already. This weekend should be a good one, however, with the Dr. Phillips clan coming to town.
As usual I will post this in a separate diary since the names will change as we get closer to the date. This is the only thing I'm going to say as far as everyone asking about a potential "secret recruit' visiting this weekend. I have confirmed he's coming, and I will let you know who it is when they give me the OK to tell you.
- Safety Roderick Ryles (6'1", 185 lbs, 3 Star): Currently committed to Arkansas, but he has said numerous times that anything can happen. If he likes this visit, I would expect Michigan to be a heavy contender.
- Linebacker Darryl Monore (6'1", 215 lbs, 3 Star): Darryl has not been offered by Michigan, but will be making the trip up this weekend. Currently committed to Washington State, he has said that basically means nothing and it's as soft a commit as you can be.
- Running Back Demetrius Hart (5'8", 190 lbs, 4 Star, Commit): You already know.
- Safety Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix (6'2", 190 lbs, 5 Star): Alabama commit coming up for the second time. I was a little optimistic until I spoke with someone in Florida that I trust. They said Ha'Sean is definitely committed to Alabama, and it would be hard to get him away from that. We'll see what happens.
- Wide Receiver Chris Gallon (6'5", 205 lbs, 3 Star): Chris does not have an offer, although the coaches have told him they're reviewing his film. It seems as though Chris may be a back up plan for Michigan at wide receiver.
- Quarterback Nick Patti (5'10", 180 lbs, 2012 Recruit): Nick has consistently said that Michigan is one of his favorites.
5'11", 205 lbs.
Will Mahone was in Ann Arbor this year to watch a Michigan game already, and this week traveled to Pennsylvania to see the Penn State game. He got a two for one, as he got to check out both the Lions and Wolverines offense.
It's great to have a quarterback like Denard, we have a versatile quarterback, too, so that's good. (Michigan's) running back (Vincent) Smith looks like he's good too. They had a rough game, but they made a little comeback too.
Mahone plays in a spread offense now that uses a lot of read options, much like Michigan. The new recruiting rules have slowed down offers, but Will is still hearing from a good amount of big time schools.
Alabama, Penn State, Oregon, Virginia, Wisconsin, Texas A&M, Mississippi State, Michigan and Notre Dame are all still sending letters. I have an offer from Cincinnati, too.
While running back may not be a big priority for Michigan in the 2012 class, Mahone would be a good option.
I will preface first... I love RR have supported him all along and will continue to until he's not the coach at M... That being said, is it just me or did the past couple of years we see more, motioning, jet sweeps, and play action off of motion and by more I meant some at all because I dont recall seeing any of that this year what so ever. Any ideas to why not?
Edit: Just incase this has been touched I did a search for "motion on offense" and didnt come up with anything.
Team A Team B
15 Fr or So defensive 2 deep 12 Fr or So
50th in NCAA Run D 57th in NCAA
83rd in NCAA Pass D 117th in NCAA
68th in NCAA Total D 106th in NCAA
29th in NCAA Scoring D 89th in NCAA
Team A is Oklahoma
Team B is obvious