The nutty Michigan coverage isn't so much about Harbaugh as it is a signal to the Big Ten that Fox wants to party.
To sum it up today...
I didn't agree with some of the schemes at QB. But my feelings can be summed up by...
It's one thing to lose to Michigan State in a rivalry game. It's another to lose to Jackson State Pen.
1) Our first drive. It held such promise!
2) First half defense. Held them to 7 points!
3) Field position. Can’t complain about that, I guess
4) Turnovers created. They kept us in the game, for a while, and would have done even better had the officials not whistled that lateral dead..
1) The O-line. They were dominated for 2.5 quarters of the game, during which time we scored 0 points. At least this is the best front 7 we’ll face all year...
2) The D-line. They were also dominated for the pivotal 1st and 3rd quarters, during which period MSU scored 21 points. MSU’s O-line isn’t that good, but they looked great at times today. Can’t blame the wind for that; its on us.
3) The 3rd quarter in general. Tackling was emblematic of how bad these 15 minutes were for us. We whiffed on a lot of important plays, and got progressively worse through the quarter, allowing the juggalos to go up on us by 14. Thankfully it improved in the 4th. Our offense stank it up as well, pretty much across the board.
4) The playcalling on offense. I know Gorgeous Al has forgotten more about football than I know, and you can’t always have the answers, but I felt like we showed an unfortunate stubbornness reminiscent of our 2009 and 2010 collapses. If ever there was a time to bust out the I-form, it was the point at which it became obvious our shotgun running and passing games weren’t working. This did improve in the 4th quarter, but too little, too late.
5) 3rd down performance. After our best performances of the year in this regard, we put in our worst.
6) Denard’s performance. I hate to say it, as he’s a unique talent and all-around good guy, but Denard was just terrible. Or I dunno...maybe Tacopants’ little brother Taquitopants got his first start for us? Balls were as frequently underthrown as overthrown...
7) Gardner in relief. He didn't look ready for primetime.
1) The wind. It turned a persistent problem—Denard’s accuracy—into a quagmire of Hamburger Hill proportions.
2) The 4th and Inches call with 7 minutes left. Just get the damned first down, guys.
3) Spielman. Just let Urban Meyer talk, please…
4) Gholston’s cheapshots. The guy is a thug, and if Dantonio doesn’t discipline him, then it says a lot about that program.
5) Bad memories of Big 10 campaigns past, whose turning points were depressing losses to the juggalos. See: 2009, 2010.
1) Losing to the juggalos for the 4th straight year.
2) Denard’s injury. Despite his epically bad day, we’re still lost without him.
Simply, what went wrong? Was it the playcalling? The execution? The refs? The wind? Dirty plays? The 88% full moon (Waning Gibbous)? What are your thoughts? And before I get negged, the purpose of this post isn't to rag on anyone, I'm genuinely curious about your thoughts. And please, keep it sane. No personal attacks or any thing of the sort.
Personally, I think the defense played as well as it could have. They got the turnovers, they put the offense in positions to make something happen. The offense just couldn't get it done. Why the offense couldn't get it done? I think it had more to do with the play calling than the execution, although the execution wasn't pretty. We were able to move the ball running and then we suddenly switched to a passing offense. It made no sense. MSU was timing the snaps, yet we continued using the same snap counts. And that 4th down play call....deep breath.... I don't care how wide open the receivers would have been if Denard had time to throw. We needed a first down and MSU was giving it to us. We have Denard and an easy first down. WHY DO YOU PASS IT??? If someone has a legitimate answer, please tell me. The execution wasn't pretty at all, but I felt like the players were put into tough spots.
We could've/should've won that game. What went wrong?
Ugly uniforms for Sparty have become an annual tradition, unfortunately. But really? These bumblebee Michigan road uniforms are absolutely terrible.
I wasn't a huge fan of the UTL home uniforms, but I could deal with it as a one-time-only event. Is Michigan really going to become like every other school with lame third jerseys?
I'm seeing a lot of them, and no penalty flags. Is this bad officiating or am I missing something?
As always, I direct you to the LIVEBLOG on the front page, but for those who can't log into it, can't keep up, or just like the open format, here you go. Plus it saves maybe half of the halftime threads.
And if you're like me, you kinda switch back and forth between the two depending on which Michigan seems to be playing best while you're in it.