i refuse to even consider this a possibility
I was curious if anyone else, especially those that went to the game, noticed the numerous plays where there were whistles being blown from the crowd? I noticed it first on a the kickoff return following ND's FG, and there was the play where the penalty was waived. WTF?!?
I am not making excuses for the loss, but it infuriated me to no end, and I felt like the refs had to have heard it, and should have started giving 15 yard penalties.Could there be any greater douche baggery than pulling that crap?
Well, that sucked. While these are fresh in my head, here are my thoughts on the game:
1. Defense - we played a great defensive game. When you turn the ball over 6 times, some of those well into your own territory, and only give up a single TD and 2 FGs, that is some damn good defense. I was especially happy with our safety and LB play against the run. Kovaks was just awesome today.
2. Defensive turnovers. I am somewhat concerned about why we are not creating fumbles on defense. Not a knock agianst our defense, which see above, but are we just not swarming the ball and tacking hard enough or is it something else? We will need to create turnovers to win the game.
3. Defensive pressure - again, see #1, but we really do need to get more pressure on opposing QBs. NDs QB situation is shit, but against teams with better QBs, allowing that much pocket time is going to hurt us.
4. Ok, the offense. I know that we put up a big 6 points, but the offense actually looked OK. Denard ran well, and Gallon continues to be - in my mind, at least - our best receiver. That kid is consistent and catches just about everything thrown his way. No, he is not going to be Megatron, but he is a great possession receiver.
5. Denard - sometimes, you just have a crappy game. This was definitely that. Let's not extrapolate too much from this. Hopefully, he will never see a LB as good as Teo again this year (until the Rose Bowl?). He just had a crappy game, and there is not more to say. Yes, we all know about the problem with INTs, and no he is not going to pick a team apart like Tom Brady, but this is nothing new. Denard will continue to save us in some games and cost us in others.
6. Fitz - he really needs to get his game back together, because he is just not impressive. Not sure, though, if it is on him or his line. Either way, if we want to have a chane to win the B10, we need to develop some non-Denard running game and fast.
OK, that's all I got. What are all of your thoughts?
Oregon vs Arizona
I'm drunk on Oban
Down 10-0 at the half with 5 INTs. Can Hoke get the band back together in time to beat the Irish for the fourth year in a row?