to play football, not to play trumpet
Arrived yesterday in staggered shifts from different locations - everyone super excited to be here. Couple of notes:
1) DFW airport was designed by drunk Martians, not engineers. Very convoluted and difficult to maneuver around in the complex particularly if you have folks flying in on different airlines. Tiny little alleyways and if you aren't paying attention and miss your cutoff you are screwed. The rental car complex is a 15 minute bus ride significantly off the property and you think you're being taken to Siberia by the time you get there. And when you drive back in, you pay a toll.
2) Everyone super friendly and welcoming. Lots of "Michigan is arriving", "Michigan's in the house" comments as we are at bag claim and moving around. One thing we didn't take into account is that all the other ESS EEE SEE teams are on our side and pulling for us to knock off Bama. Lots of hand shakes and high fives form LSU fans, Aggie fans, Arkansas fans telling us they are Michigan fans on Saturday.
3) At Albertson's last night to stock up, there is a very attractive Texas Big Hair housewife with a cart full of enough bottled water to last till Christmas in front of us at checkout. As she is paying, she turns to us and looks us up and down and smiles sweetly and says "Roll Tide". We had a blast telling her she would be learning all about Hail To The Victors this weekend, Bama fans seem nice and friendly and not malicious just supportive and fun folks.
4) Lots of freeway construction in this town. And they don't mark things well so if you encounter any, the driver needs to pay close attention - miss one cutoff and you're lost. We are using Texas 114 going west from DFW and it's a real challenge to stay on the right highway!
5) Opted to stay in the Champions Circle complex in Ft Worth. Nice Marriott, nice Greg Norman golf course, and right across the street from Texas Motor Speedway where we have a tour and test drive scheduled tomorrow morning. Just Chili's for dinner last night watching the Cowboys game but headed to downtown Ft Worth for real Texas food with all the good rec's in hand from the folks who took the time to post earlier about local hotspots for us - thanks to all of you for making this trip even more fun.
It's 100 degrees +, pack your sunscreen and GO BLUE!
Season is just HOURS away....
ESPN (yes, I know, boo, hiss, etc. etc.) has a page summarizing D-I* (*I refuse to use the FBS/FCS titles) uniform and helmet changes.... http://espn.go.com/espn/playbook/story/_/id/8312659/uni-watch-comprehensive-preview-2012-college-football-gear-part-1
A couple of helmet changes caught my eye, they are REALLY kewl:
Rutgers is going with a "chrome" helmet, but not a smooth or glittery finish aka tUOS, but kind of like marks from swords after battle, they call them "battle scars" -- its pretty neat, up close. Whether it plays nice of TV is another matter; definitely would have been lost on a standard def TV ten years ago, but on a 52" HDTV, it should be pretty popping ..... http://media.nj.com/star-ledger/photo/2012/05/10930004-standard.jpg
Army is moving to this bizarre, "toasted" colors with brown stripe -- it's not as nice as the camoflage helmet they had a few years ago against Navy (Best. Uniform. Ever.*) (*other than one with wings), but its very eye-catching. Now, if it's still eye-catching after 3 hours, I'm not so sure. But at first blush, it's nice... .http://farm9.static.flickr.com/8293/7807948246_4a84c6a955_o.png
If you are Auburn, do you root for Alabama or Michigan?
Do you root for Alabama because, you know, "Ess Eee See!!!" and all that? Or do you root for Michigan because you would root for the University of Iran, College of Nuclear Studies before you would ever root for Alabama?
I hate to say it, but if it was Ohio State playing Alabama on Saturday, I'd have to root for Ohio State, to give the Big Ten a boost.
Countdown to Kickoff - Day 2: Darrell Funk, The Band at Practice, Inside Michigan Football Radio Show
I keep hearing how Alabama has more talent due to their amazing recruiting. So I wanted to take a look and see what the differences were according to Rivals and ESPN. Hope I didn't mess up the formatting I have never done this before.
Also note I only included the players that were listed on the Two Deep depth charts. So the ratings don't include the whole recruiting classes. I was really suprised to see how many upper classman3 star guys Bama had on the OL and DL. Most of their highly rated guys were at LB, CB/S, and RB. I don't think there is as big a differnce as people think.
|Avg Rivals Stars||Avg Rivals Rating|
|Players in Rivals 250||Avg Rivals Pos Rank|
|Avg ESPN Rank||Avg ESPN Pos Rank||Players in ESPN 150|
Sorry about the formatting I have tried to fix it but every time I save it goes back to the large verson. [ed-S: fixed. Thanks for doing the research]
I am rewatching the Ohio game again because why not? While watching, I had to listen to Speilman whine about putting DG in as the QB. While it was annoying, it did bring about an idea. That idea:
What will bringing DG into the huddle (along with Robinson) do to DCs this year? Last year, we used DG for gimmick plays: end-arounds, screens, etc. However, this upcoming year we might bring him into the huddle as a WR which means we're just running our normal plays.
What do you guys think this'll do to DCs? When they send in the play after seeing the huddle, do they call different plays for our screens-and-such or does this not really matter? Does this play games with the DC's head which could lead to holes in the defense which D-Rob could exploit?
I never really thought about it that way, but TBH, we could bring him into the huddle as a QB again. So what do you guys think?