"Northwestern fans can be both heartened and disheartened by the loss to Minnesota just like how nineteenth-century resurrectionists were heartened when they pried a heart from a freshly-buried corpse and then disheartened it when they sold it to a disreputable anatomist."
He may have been a Spartan, but he was a football legend.
Sometimes I'm not above sending a letter to the local paper. I come from a long line of people who wrote letters to local papers (surprise!). Anyway, I penned this as a response to DetNews' Josh Katzenstein on Michigan's Mascot but then Brian front-page responded to the same thing, so there's no use saving it for Dear Diary anymore.
Here's the damn letter that doesn't say "capturing the Sharp market" anywhere in it. Image at right is from MVictors.
Get your arrogance hats ohnnn:
- You can cheer the winningest program in college football history.
- You can cheer because you're the largest group of football fans gathered together to watch a football game in the world.
- You can cheer because of their success on the field.
- You can cheer because they stand up after their failures.
- You can cheer because the best things about our state: integrity, hard work, engineering, business, nature, and beauty, are embodied by its oldest and greatest institution.
- You can cheer because this program, this team, and this school care more about being worth cheering for than whether or not you're cheering.
Per the twitters of Adam Schefter and Jim Schwartz, Fariley had foot surgery today. Will at least miss a significant portion of the pre-season.
Ron Thompson is supposedly deciding soon...next week or so. It seems like he still wants to go Blue, but if he believes there isn't room for him, where is your best guess for him to go?
If he goes elsewhere, I'm feeling that Indiana may have jumped up his list since Gunner will be throwing the ball there. I'm still hoping he goes Blue, but I think we all understand if he doesn't.
There is another stupid mascot article over at the Detroit News, calling for Michigan to relent and add a Mascot. (Link: http://detnews.com/article/20110803/OPINION03/108030411/1131/sports0201/What%E2%80%99s-the-fuss-Michigan?-Just-get-a-mascot-already) I hope Dave Brandon doesn't cave to this idiocy, and that Michigan gets back to its regular winning ways. I wish there was some way for the alumni base to make clear their feelings on this.