Hoke was top notch at this aspect of his job.
One thread to rule them all;
One thread to find them (guilty of Major Violations);
One thread to bring them all (additional scholarship reductions);
And in Columbus bind them (during bowl season).
EDIT: Check, check, check, and check. Ohio will not be eligible for post-season play next year, which includes the B1G Championship game. The NCAA added 4 scholarship cuts to Ohio's self-imposed 5, and added a year of probation. Tressel also hit with a Show-Cause.
EDIT II: There is some confusion about the lost scholarships. My understanding is that 9 scholarships over 3 years means that they have to AVERAGE a maximum of 82 scholarships per year over the next three years, as opposed to the typical maximum of 85 per year.
We all know what Kind of person Urban Meyer really is ... he has been caught lying to recruits plenty of times in the past ... he was known for oversigning classes, and then screwing some recruits over at the very end .. and the University of Florida committed the most ncaa violations ever in the history of their program, under Urban Meyer.
We also know he has been out there selling recruits on the fact that he was assurred no more penalties would be handed down, which Bri'onte Dunn also backed in an interview after he confirmed his commitment to Ohio State. But, today Meyer issued this statement:
"I just did a lot of research. I contacted people outside of Ohio State before I accepted the position and I wanted to hear from some trusted people that I have within the NCAA and other people who dealt directly with the NCAA," Meyer said. "It came back--- I wouldn't use the word 'assurance,' because who knows? -- but when you start talking about the overall integrity of the institution, it's a positive. There were some mistakes made that were serious. I haven't had any assurance about what's going to happen."
To me this totally goes back on what he has stated to the current recruits that he has been able to keep at Ohio State, or flip their commitment to Meyer.
I have read that Meyer, in the past, was caught in many recruiting lies which include:
1. Telling Jevan Snead he was recruiting Tim Tebow as a Linebacker. He and his family were assured of this on numerous occassions. It never came out until they spoke with one another and Tebow stated he was assured he was being recruited as a qb. Once they both confronted Meyer he came out and said both were being recruited at qb . Snead then decommitted.
2. Florida was ready to accept the commitment of Patrick Johnson ... although they thought the test score submitted was bogus. When he chose LSU over Florida Meyer immediately had the school flag his test scores, and the LSU compliance dept. was put on notice. The ACT score was eemed legit and Johsnon was able to attend LSU on time.
3. Meyer was recruiting Stonum very hard at the same time Michigan was and Meyer confronted Stonum with some news he said was important. He stated he talked to Coach Carr and Coach Soup, and both had told Meyer that Stonum was a better fit for the Florida spread. Stonum thought he was being sold out by the very coaches who had recuited him to Michigan.
4. The Pouncey's originally committed to FSU and claimed to be lifelong FSU fans. Shortly thereafter they flipped their commitment. This also occured with Percy Harvin, yet he never committed to FSU, just proclaimed to be a lifelong FSU fan. It wasn't until after college in an interview with the Pouncey's did this came out and they admitted all of the Lifelong FSU fan stuff was garbage, and they were all lifelong Florida fans, including Harvin. Meyer wanted them to say this so it would look like he was tearing down FSU, and it would appear this way to future FSU recruits.
5. A famous Urban Meyer quote "But what I didn't want to have happen, and I made this clear to Jeremy (Florida AD), if I am able to go coach, I want to coach at one place, the University of Florida. It would be a travesty, it would be ridiculous to all of a sudden come back and get the feeling back, get the health back, feel good again and then all of a sudden go throw some other colors on my shirt and go coach? I don't want to do that. I have too much love for this University and these players and for what we've built."
There are plenty more sneaky scumbag tactics and quotes out there regarding Urban Meyer .... and we all kow Florida hates him. Could he be exposed this quickly at Ohio State? Can the University get slammed and it come sout immediately that once again Meyer was lying to recuits when he stated he was assured nothing further will happen? In my eyes he admitted to lying today when he satted he hasn't been assured. It's 50/50 for him today. He either gets exposed and then has to try to lie to recruits to get out of the mess, but with his quote today that will be difficult to do. Or, he gets lucky, and nothing further happens. Then he can tell the recruits he knew that all along, and oly told the media he wasn't assured, because the University asked him to do so.
Fingers crossed they get ham,mered and he gets exposed before his career even begins.
If you have some more known sleazy tactics Meyer has been caught using before feel free to share them with us .......... lets hope it all unfolds at 3 PM.
Per Steve Wiltfong (http://twitter.com/swiltfong247):
Over at WN, Rothstein wrote up a great piece on Junior Hemingway (LINK). Basically, he talks about how things didn't exactly go as he thought they would during his 5 years in the program, but he's been working hard, staying positive, and trying to get better.
I had goals, like being one of the best receivers in Michigan history," Hemingway said. "Things like that. But I look at it as you never know what could happen in that time frame, so I just looked forward, kept working, kept progressing and kept doing things for the team.
I've got a lot more," Hemingway said. "I haven't reached my full potential yet. I have a lot more to go. I think I have a lot of things I can work on and make better.
I'm still progressing, and that's a good thing.
Man, I'm really going to miss this senior class. I hope Junior gets drafted and has an opportunity for a long NFL career. Thanks for all you've done for the program, Junior!
THE BLOCKHAMS ARE COMING.
THE BLOCKHAMS™ is an online comic strip devoted to the life and culture of Michigan fans, as told in the adventures of one multi-generational family and their loyalty to the maize and blue.
Created by soon-to-be outed MGoBlog user "Six Zero," THE BLOCKHAMS™ is to be an ongoing series, with two editions published per week. Every Tuesday it will run on the pages of www.mgoblog.com, the web's premiere Michigan athletics blog and information portal; and every Thursday will see a new strip on the site's own domain, www.theblockhams.com. For the sake of archiving and full catalog reading, each Tuesday strip will also be posted on the official site as well.
Despite previously teasing a January 1st start date, series creator Six Zero has opted to hold the series launch until January 3rd, the date of the team's actual bowl game and pending destruction of the Virginia Tech Hokies. As such, www.theblockhams.com will not be activated until its official launch date.
Although the surname 'Blockham' is obviously a not-so-subtle reference to the familiar 'Block M' brand that represents Ann Arbor's exceptional institution, the series is not affiliated in any way with the University of Michigan and/or its athletic department. The series' creator invites anyone to pronounce the name "Blockham" however they would like, but he phonetically says it as "BLOCK-ums."
At its best, THE BLOCKHAMS™ will be a fun distraction to anyone who loves comics, but it should certainly be understood that the series is a strip about Michigan sports for Michigan fans created by a Michigan fan. There will be inside jokes, obscure trivia and references, and even the occasional criticism. And it will show little mercy to Sparty and Ohio.
For more information on the upcoming release of THE BLOCKHAMS™, please keep a close eye on www.mgoblog.com posts by Six Zero. Business partners interested in advertising opportunities should express an interest on related posts, and further arrangements will be made for direct contact.
THE BLOCKHAMS™ arrive on Tuesday, January 3rd, 2012.
Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and Go Blue!
Scott Loeffler has built up a rather impressive list of underclassmen he has tutored for the NFL, including the latest NFL QB sensation - Tim Tebow.
Currently Scott is under consideration as OC at LSU: http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2011/01/lsu_football_former_florida_co.html
Hopefully at some point in the future he'll come home to Michigan just as Brady Hoke has.