i like 'em both
Sparty tailgaters will not be thrilled.
I believe this topic might have been touched before but I thought I saw some erroneous information regarding taking the L to Evanston.
Here is the link to Northwestern's football website and what they say about parking:
Here is the link to the CTA and taking the Purple Line up to Evanston. It appears that there will be plenty of options to leave Ryan Field and make it back to downtown (or any stop in between) after the game:
EDIT: At the time the game will probably end the Purple line only runs down to Howard where you will have to change trains to get to another location (in my case the Loop).
Granted it's talk radio so the boob % is exceptionally high, but UM fan's refuse to give MSU any credit for their win at OSU. Our defense is not good, OSU's offense is just awful and every other Big Ten team will shut them out too.
Conversely, UM still stinks according to MSU fans.
As with most things in life, the truth is somwhere in the middle, but after five weeks of football, I feel confident stating:
1. MSU has a good defense. Are they world beaters like LSU? Probably not, but I think they will be in the top 3 of Big Ten defenses this year.
2. Michigan's Defense has improved. I still expect them to give up some points to B1G Ten teams not named Minnesota, but their defense has made SIGNIFICANT strides from last year.
3. Denard is still electric. The key to UM's B1G Ten season will be whether he can avoid costly interceptions in the passing game that plagued him last year and make enough passing plays to keep defenses honest.
4. MSU's offense will be fine, but not great. I'm going out on a limb here and I don't expect a ton of agreement, but the OLine actually showed a pulse against the Buckeyes and while it will not be a plus line this year, I think it will be competent. MSU actually had 9 drives in OSU territory only to come away with 10 points. I'm not sure if that is good or bad, but we moved the ball well on the road against what is still a good OSU defense. If the defense really is very good, then MSU's offense doesn't have to be great to compete for the Legends Division.
Which leads me tooo.......
5. The Legends division really is up in the air. Wiscy seems to have a stranglehold on the Leaders, but I can see Nebraska, Michigan, MSU and even Iowa all competing for title. Northwestern really hurt their chances of being a dark horse contender by blowing that lead against Illinois.
I still expect MSU to retain the Paul Bunyan Trophy game this year, but if they do, it doesn't mean that Michigan stinks. Conversely, if Michigan beats us (which is entirely possible), I will tip my cap.
I love the B1G Ten Season because the truth is in the pudding and we will all know in the next 9 weeks.
Some friends and I were curious about the last time the Lions and Michigan had gone this far into their respective seasons undefeated. The Lions haven't gone 4-0 since 1980. I emailed Greg Dooley (MVictors) this morning and asked what he thought. His response was that he doesn't think it's ever happened, and the closest he could think of was in 1970 when the Lions went 3-0 and Michigan was 9-0.
Just thought this was an interesting bit of information to share. Here's to a couple excellent seasons for both teams, and Go Blue!
So here we are... 5-0 and heading on the road against a scrappy Northwestern team possibly led by a
former heisman hopeful heisman hopeful quarterback, Dan Persa. After everyone's comments from last week on the Eastern Michigan wallpaper, I wanted to do another animal parody for the Northwestern wallpaper. My original thought was to make use of these in some way:
but I realized that Northwestern shouldn't be mocked like Eastern Michigan (who's more like an infant step-cousin than a "little brother"), lest the football gods smite us for our hubris. Instead, I let myself be influenced by my feminine side and took my inspiration from the musical Cats. Instead of dancers for pupils, though, I went for... DENARD!!!
I figured, unlike the Eastern Michigan wallpaper, this wallpaper makes Northwestern look cool, which will make me feel more satisfied when we beat them!
EDIT: I fixed the widescreen link and changed the game info to "Game 6" instead of "Game 5"... I think I was just psyched about the 5-0 when I made it!
From today's Newark Star Ledger comes news that the Big East is about to "aggressively" pursue new football only members:
...wonder if the Gophers are waiting by the phone for a call ......