CBS Sports aired the 2010 Auburn v Alabama game the other day... the game in which Auburn trailed during the first half by three scores only to run roughshod over the Alabama D in the second half.
It caused me to have the following questions to the general MGoBlog Community:
- How much of that game film do you think is being viewed by the Michigan Offensive staff?
- If you are an X and O guy, what plays shown on that game film best fit within the UM game plan/skill set?
- Now that Gus Mahlzan is no longer calling plays for an SEC team, do you think the UM coaching staff has hit him up for offensive and defensive strategy?
That game really was a tale of two halves and I don't believe Saban has changed his defensive or offensive strategy since 2010. Just curious if any film-watchers/X and O'ers can compare and contrast and answer the above questions.
Thanks and Go Blue!
I would come up with a crazy mascot for the kids; not sure how I became a M fan as a kid without one.
At one point I would have put a beautiful maize halo around the Big House.
If I were to do a coaching search, I would consult this here blog. Erebody, erebody knows Brandon messed up the last one with his delays and missteps.
I would restore John U Bacon back to his front row press box seat. C'mon DB, Bacs is a good guy. You have to air the dirty laundry every 5 years or so, just to keep everybody on their toes.
I would have Buzz Lightyear jet pack into the Big House in a maize and blue space suit. How cool would that be.
Anybody else got rad suggestions? I will be sure to get the 10 best to DB. Suggesting a roundtable with Bacs, Carrismyhomeboy, The Last Hoke, and the Freep Carr-tel (shoutout to Tater), is not a worthy suggestion.
I would bring back Neg Bangs
Mods if this is a bad idea, ie stupid, and it certainly is, please delete.
My Dad and I are staying there, it's not too far from the DFW airport. We'll be flying in, and won't have a vehicle. If anyone's looking to carpool to events/the game, of course, we'd be more than happy to chip in for gas and whatnot.
So I buy The Wolverine magazine's season preview every year, and it's always excellent. This year's edition is no exception. But this isn't about the season preview, it's about the September 2012 issue that just came out a week or so ago. You see I went ahead and got the subscription because it's pretty sweet. Here are some excerpts of said sweetness that I thought I could share with the board...
- This year's opener against Alabama is the first time we've been in a Top 10 vs. Top 10 match-up in the opener since 1992 against ND (they #3, we were #6)
- Jordan Kovacs needs 34 tackles to become the first Wolverine defensive back in school history to amass 300 tackles in a career. Like, ever. In 133 years.
- They have a Magnus-style list of top impact players for 2012, a sampling: 3. Kovacs, 5. Schofield, 10. Jake Ryan, 15. Blake Countess, 16. JT Floyd, 23. Stephen Hopkins
- 5 Freshmen most likely to play? Funchess is #2, Pipkins is #4
- Gardner switched from #7 to #12 for reasons that remain between he and coach Hoke (not a teaser, he doesn't say so in the magazine either)
- Back-ups to Brennen Beyer? Tom Strobel is practicing at WDE along with Mario Ojemudia
- 2011 Brink vs. 2012 Burzynski hype is probably about 5 parts to 4
- So they did a little poll of 16 players at Media Day. Who's the team's predicted breakout player? Gerald Robinson (hmm... just like that ESPN poll of outgoing seniors last year)
Our old friend Tim Sullivan has another great piece on our awesome recruiting, including a look at decommitments of the past. Remember these and heartbreak no longer: Caleb Stacey, Tony Drake, Jordan Barnes, and Shavodrick Beaver are all out of football.
- Bonus 2013 recruiting awesomeness: "When Derrick (Green) first walked into the Big House, I was standing there. He said, 'Man you're a real big dude,'" Tuley-Tillman said with a laugh. "I said, 'Wait until you see the rest of us. There's three more of me upstairs.' We had an amazing time together."
- BONUS 2012 PREVIEW ISSUE material, in which this statement is made: "Jake Ryan has star potential and will be expected to vie for tackles for loss records... that's how much confidence the defensive coaches have in him."
- BONUS OMG WILL CAMPBELL 2012 PREVIEW ISSUE material: "I was really big when I first got here, 356 pounds, and when you're taller it's harder to bend your knees so you have to overcompensate at your waist, and when your gut is in the way, you can't bend over," he said. "So for me, I needed to get my weight down. I needed to get rid of my gut." The gut is gone. Come on baby.
- BONUS 2012 PREVIEW ISSUE material ALL OF THE KOVACSES: "When you talk about a Michigan defensive football player, embodying everything you want, he's who I think of. A guy that comes to work every day and plays as hard as he can. That studies football. That is a team player. That is tough. All of it. I wish I had 11 Jordan Kovacses." - Greg Mattison
Again it's a great magazine, and this is just a fraction of what's inside each. Preview issue was $12.95, last month's issue was $3.95. Hopefully they don't mind the brief content and the plug, though mods do what you will if inappropriate. Just trying to share some football.
Back in the late '90s, I started doing a little Michigan preview every season and just sending it to my friends via e-mail. It was nothing special. People seemed to like it, so I kept doing it, and it would get a little better each season. It started to expand in size and depth and eventually grew to the point where I'd upload it to file-sharing sites and just e-mail the link to my slowly expanding distribution group.
Then stuff like mgoblog and SmartFootball and Touchthebanner happened, and I started to learn a lot more about football. That only increased my interest in learning even more about football, so I started reading books about football and so, well, I started to add graphics and images and picture-page type things...
Anyway, the preview isn't exactly HTTV and I'm not exactly Magnus. But if you're interested in checking out my preview for this year, here's a link. I hope you'll like it. Go Blue!