Side-by-side comparison of old (left) and new Michigan home unis. New number font is evident in the "2."
Michigan’s football coach has an odd fascination with the game’s least interesting position
"Harbaugh was infatuated with fullbacks long before he shook up college football by returning to his alma mater last season. Harbaugh’s first head-coaching position—before Michigan, before the San Francisco 49ers and before Stanford—was at the University of San Diego in 2004. One of the first things Harbaugh did after taking the job was to seek out legendary Michigan coach Bo Schembechler for some advice. Schembechler gave him an idea that turned out to be indispensable: He told him to find a good fullback.
Harbaugh took the advice quite literally. He has found good fullbacks everywhere and has used them in every way possible.
The result is a position room that could be the most fascinating collection of players in the country. Henry Poggi, for example, came to Ann Arbor as a four-star defensive tackle. Harbaugh thought he would be more valuable on offense. Now he may be the starting fullback for a darkhorse College Football Playoff contender.
“It’s like a sixth sense,” Poggi said. “He knows what guys are going to be best at what positions.”"
Source: Max Cohen, WSJ, 8/30/2016
3 DAYS UNTIL RASHAN GARY TOUCHES THE BANNER AND MAKES HAWAII TASTE THE PAINBOW
We're almost there folks. Crazy how fast the offseason can go. I'll try to keep this short and sweet but I got some clarification to some of the rumors and performance evaluations that weve been seen suggested over the last few weeks.
*Speight is legit and has simply done a great job. He won the spot plain and simple. O'korn is going to be a hell of a backup. There is a walk-on QB that is tearing it up also. Not sure of his name...but Harbaugh has taken notice.
* Amarah Darboh is making a leap. He has been described as a "man" out there and may challenge Jehu for top shotta in the WR stable. Darboh's strength and hands have been setting him apart this camp.
* The freshman recievers are the real deal. McDoom is turning heads and will play. Nate Johnson is more than holding his own but the jewel of them all is Kekoa. He has been as advertised and should factor into the rotation right away.
* Devin Asiasi is going to play and is standing out in a crowded TE group. His size and athleticism is showing and he has big time potential.
* There is much news in terms of Running Back. Deveon is your starter. Ty has had a solid camp and is the #2. The Chris Evans hype is real and he has flashed quite a bit in camp. He will see snaps in 3rd down situations and has a terrific knack for route running. Higdon is finally back after a meniscus operation that shelved him for the past 2 months and a battle with mono (contracted while volunteering in nursing home in spring). He will factor in the rotation and has hit the ground running well the last week. Higdon is the strongest back on the team and is also likley the fastest. There is an medical hiccup with Drake and I wont divulge how severe or minor it is at this time. There is no positive news to report of Kareem Walker and Evans was moved to RB for a reason.
* There is certainly a confidence with this group. They realize that they have everything to play for this year. They also realize that Michigan State and Ohio State are the mountains in the way.
* Aside from Drake's issue there are no notable medical developments. Team is banged up because Harbaugh practices them like Harbaugh practices. They are very anxious to put some actualization to the hype. Tune in Saturday....it should be fun.
If any of this was redundant or not interesting I apologize. I'm just sharing some info I've gotten the past week or so. Go Blue!!!
Bo launched the modern era of Michigan Football in 1969. I was fortunate to be an undergrad who witnesed those first few years of his legacy. I have counted many of those early players as lifelong friends covering a period of nearly half a century now. In tribute, I plan to mention a few who may have passed or who are still with us, to pay our gratitude for the contributions they have made, often without acclaim. At the start of each season, until I am unable to post, a pause for reflection and a nod to my friends. They are truly part of the foundation of what we have today. This year:
"Irish" Tom Coyle and Jerry Schumacher-RIP and always in our memories.
Don Eaton and Bill Moran-Served area youth for more than 4 decades now.
Obviously Michigan is mentioned this year as we were last year.
• Lots of excitement at Michigan, where the school's eight-year run with Adidas is over and the school is now being outfitted by Nike, which has assigned the football team to its Jordan sub-brand. This presents the odd scenario of a football team wearing uniforms with the "Jumpman" basketball logo, but the Wolverines' uniforms are otherwise pretty similar to what they've been wearing in recent years (additional photos here):
In another Wolverines note, quarterback John O'Korn -- who wore No. 5 while playing for Houston in 2013 and 2014 and again while serving on the Michigan scout team last season -- is now wearing No. 8:
Finally, if you're wondering whether the new Nike contract will result in Michigan wearing lots of alternate uniforms, athletic director Warde Manuel said that will be up to coach Jim Harbaugh and his staff.
On the "Play, Coach, Die" diary I posted a few days back (detailing an ESPN interview with Coach Harbaugh), one user suggested that the diary's eponymous catchphrase be made into a T-shirt. So I mocked one up - here is the picture (easily designed at many custom T-shirt sites online).
I think this would be pretty cool, but your mileage may vary.
What I would like to see are mock ups of other T-shirts that people would like to order from our friends at mgoblog/underground printing. So make some mock T-shirts and post them below! And then people can up/down vote each so we can see which these guys should really make, and we can find yet another channel to support our beloved bloggers. Who knows, they might even listen to the masses and make the T-shirt of your dreams.
Funniest T-shirt design wins first prize, which is a hearty handshake from yours truly. Second place: steak knives. Third place: you're fired. Go!