things go poorly
Just when I got around to teasing my little brother for being a student at the school where Brian Ellerbe "coaches" (George Washington), my plan backfires. Ellerbe is now on the staff at DePaul, meaning we'll be working within like two miles of each other.
My world just got a little bleaker.
Espn insider article, by doug gottlieb, basically stating that manny should return to school or will likely be headed to Europe to play. On the list of players that should go back to school manny was listed first.
I thought Manny hired an agent but there have been a few articles this last week that are telling manny he should go back to school, are they just not informed on manny's agent status?
The tourney expansion is old news but the format of the expansion has not been confirmed to my knowledge. It would seem like the most likely scenario is that there will be four play in games now instead of 1 and that these games will consist of the 8 "worst" teams in the tourney with the winners advancing to play the number one seeds.
I, for one, would not be impressed. The 15 and 16 seeds don't have realistic illusions of advancing very far in the tourney. However, they undoubtedly look forward to the opportunity to play against the top teams in the country. Alas, under the current format, one of those teams is basically told, "Yeah, you earned the right to play in the NCAA tourney.... but not really." So now, instead of one team getting the shaft, four teams will be in that position.
I would much rather see the "bubble teams" forced into those play in games, with the winners earning the 12 seeds. This way, those 15 and 16 seeds (whose only hope of ever making the tourney is winning their conference post season) will still get the chance to run with the big boys, while the major conference bubble teams will be forced to play eachother for the right to play in those always intriguing 5-12 matchups.
Sorry (but not really) if this seems random. I heard some dicussion on the expansion earlier today and so I was motivated to get out my soapbox.
On today's Recruiting Roundup (toward the end), Sam Webb mentioned more or less in passing that he had heard that a basketball player who had decomitted from Tulane (after a coaching change there) was considering Michigan.
He didn't mention a name, but it could be Rakeem Brookins, a 5-foot-11 point guard from Roman Catholic H.S. in Philadelphia who was a first-team All-City selection.
Neworleans.com reported that Brookins had originally selected Tulane over "Boston University, Pennsylvania, LaSalle, Delaware, VCU and James Madison." Item also says he is "a good ball handler" with "a very good three-point shot."
Runhouse Recruiting has a brief item, updated on April 16, with a lengthy list of schools pursuing Brookins but no mention of Michigan.
A second Tulane decommit, Colton Christian, seems less likely to be the player in question. He's a 6-foot-7 power forward from Hargrave Military Academy in Virginia.
As Brian has said before: Basketball recruiting is dirty like dirt in a dirt sandwich.
Check out this story, in which someone -- posing as Calipari -- sent a completely FAKE Facebook message to highly touted Kentucky recruit Marquis Teague.