Incredible interview of Jim Hackett just now on the Huge Show. Hackett told the entire story of how Harbaugh was hired. Too many highlights to list, but among them:
- The hiring process was code-named Project Unicorn.
- Harbaugh wanted to make totally sure that Hoke had been treated fairly before he’d even talk to Michigan.
- He didn’t name names, of course, but Hackett said that he was talking to several college coaches whose teams were in bowl games, and some other NFL coaches (he didn’t specify if they were head coaches or assistants).
- The day that Harbaugh and Hackett each signed the contract, Hackett couldn’t get his computer to work, so he had to take a picture of the contract on his iPhone so that he could send it to Harbaugh.
- Harbaugh wanted to make sure that Hackett was going to be sticking around as AD.
- A night game for Ohio State is highly unlikely; a night game for Michigan State isn’t quite as unlikely.
Incredibly honest interview. Jim MF Hackett is the anti-Brandon in every way.
It wasn’t uploaded when last I checked, but the Hackett interview should be uploaded soon at:
As mentioned previously having interest on this blog, it was confirmed today that Moritz will be visiting this weekend. Big to get him on campus, and as of now he is an assumed frontrunner to Michigan.
Report: German forward Moritz Wagner to visit Michigan this weekend http://t.co/L1uddJRTCT— Dylan Burkhardt (@umhoops) March 6, 2015
Bill Self gets a pass by many. Being Lawrence Kansas the local media and much of the school is in his hip pocket and very little is done to dig deep. Yahoo sports is at it again sniffing around KU athletics.
If you are curious here is a TLDR of Bill Self in all of his Francis Underwood of NCAA basketball glory...
Interesting article in USA Today about the 25th anniversary of Loyola Marymount's amazing 1990 team:
I'll never forget the way that team bulldozed us in the NCAAs, 149-115. We were a 3 seed and they were an 11 seed, and we had no idea what hit us.
EDIT: Original title was Michigan certain 9-seed in BTT after Wiscy beats Minny, but I didn't notice Northwestern one game behind us also at 6-11. Derp
Of course, Indiana and Illinois are out of reach.
Michigan will be seeded above Minnesota since
- After the loss to Wisc tonight, Minn can at best tie us
- We beat Minny in the only meeting this yr
To grab the 9th seed from us, NW needs
- to win @Iowa
- for Michigan to lose at home to Rutgers
- for Ohio State to lose at home to Wiscy
Let's go through the tiebreakers
- Results (Mich 1, NW 1; Mich 1, Minn 0; NW 1, Minn 0)
- In case it's a three way tie, Minny drops out here
Records against individual teams in order of standings
- Group tied teams together as single group
- Sudden death, first advantage found wins
- No wins for either Mich/NW vs Wiscy
- No wins for either Mich/NW vs MD
Wins against the four tied 11-6 teams
- MSU (no wins for either)
- Purdue (no wins for either)
- OSU (Mich 1-1, NW 0-1)
Iowa (Mich 0-1, NW 2-0)
- Note both Iowa & OSU
- lose to NW & Wiscy
- this weekend
- by definition of the scenario
Consequence (NW 9th Seed, Mich 10th)
- Group OSU & Iowa together
- Results (Mich 1-2, NW 2-1)
So the likelihood has increased (derp) that we will be the 9th seed in the Big Ten Tournament and will start play on the 2nd day on Thursday, March 12 against either Indiana (if Illinois wins @Purdue & Indiana loses at home vs MSU) or Illinois (the other three combinations of Indiana/Illinois wins/losses).
With its win tonight, Wiscy clinches the Big Ten regular season title and will be seeded first. The winner of the 8/9 game plays the 1-seed on the third day of the tournament in the quarterfinals. Thus, should we win our opening game, we likely will be facing Wisconsin in our second game.
2014-15 Big Ten STANDINGS
|#23 Ohio State||11-6||4||22-8|
Who would you rather face in the opener?
GR III has been waived by Minny per Stein.