I did not make this headline up
There has been some question about McGary's height. He's been consistently listed at 6'10", but a newspaper article recently listed him at 6'8". UMHoops reports that he measured 6'9" w/out shoes at the Nike Hoops Summit.
McGary weighed 263 at the Hoops Summit, which UMHoops says is too much. Sam Webb said that he was a bit overweight this morning as well.
I've watched a lot of his film now, and I can offer the following non-expert thoughts:
1. He's an excellent ballhandler for a man his size. He's also a willing passer;
2. He's a good enough athlete but not at all elite;
3. He plays with a very high, Novak-like motor. This wasn't on display at the Hoop Summit, apparently, but he reportedly seemed to be banged up (see link above);
4. His shooting is inconsistent at best. He can make threes, but he throws up ugly line drives fairly often as well (including on free throws);
5. I don't think he's going to be a big-time shot blocker in college. He gets a good amount of blocks in his highlights against shorter guys (I'm talking short-for-high-school guys), but you don't see the sort of timing and extension that you'd see from, say, Gorgui Dieng;
6. I can see him being particularly successful on the pick-and-roll, b/c he'll be able to receive the ball a dribble or two away from the rim and still convert, which is something Jordan Morgan struggles with;
7. McGary is raw and a little wild at times with the basketball. His choice to be coached by John Beilein was particularly wise, IMO, b/c Beilein will work more on his shooting skills than other coaches. Bacari Alexander will also presumably be a great help to him. McGary won't be the best player on the team next year, but he'll be a very nice (if unrefined) piece to the puzzle.
There have been two recent Tweets that hint that Burke may be returning:
Suz @OhhSuzannah: @suckatsports report from church. The Burke family is telling members of our congregation that Trey's staying another year. We'll see!
Take it FWIW. Didn't see anything on the Board on the most recent "information". Hopefully these tea leaves are accurate!
MOD Edit: Moved to board. Commence HAPPY FREAK OUT! [zl]
Per Jeff Goodman at CBS, Trey Ziegler will attend Pitt next year.
I know we never contacted him but I think Pitt is getting a solid player - big for them after an unusual down year.
It's officially official. Per UMHoops, the 6'1" 180 lb Crown Point / Northfield Mount Hermon (Mass.) PG has committed to Michigan. He is the fourth commit that Wayne Brumm, head coach of the SYF Players AAU team, has sent Beilein's way (GRIII, Bielfeldt, McGary).
Also, not mentioned on this board much, but I think he'll be 19 or 20 when he steps on campus since he did a year of prep school. So, while we'll have 4 freshman coming in, three of them will not be true freshman from an age perspective. That's a big deal when it comes to muscle/size for college athletes.
For anybody who was a fan hoping for a contender during the Vitale debacle and the home grey uniforms at the Silverdome in the early 80s, Isiah Thomas is revered. He probably saved pro-basketball in Detroit. In my mind the greatest pure point guard ever to lace them up.
His post-Piston's career has been a succession of "I can't look" events save some decent drafts with the Raptors and a good couple years coaching the Pacers. I want him to come home now. Davidson is gone and this new owner became a fan during the 80s. The Pistons are dull and irrelevant and the Captain seems pretty rudderless. The two parties need each other IMO. Find the man some job with the organization where he can help give some life to the Pistons.
Link on today's firing:
To focus on the positive, check out his dual with Bernard King in the 84 Playoffs. No one his size before or since could take over a game like he could.
Based on NBADraft.net he is predicted to go as the #39 overall pick (9th pick in the 2nd round) to the Denver Nuggets. DraftExpress gives him the #40 overall pick (10th pick in the 2nd round) to the Boston Celtics. Doesn't seem like he is going first round, I hope he is back!
This was updated Yesterday morning, just in case you were wondering when it was posted...