...says Denzel Valentine of Big Ten Tourney favorite MSU, which is 5-7 in its last 12 games. Cumong, man.
I don't know how many of you get involved with sports betting, though I'm sure Jamie Mac is all over this, but the line (on BoDog.com) has moved all the way to MSU -1 this morning. Any thoughts? My best guess is that this is the public hammering a traditionally very "public" team in MSU and Tom Izzo.
Tales from Last Night
Last night went much better for Michigan than did Monday. The relevant results for the Wolverines:
- Harvard beat Penn 79-64. The Crimson are a past opponent, so we want them to do very well.
- Princeton beat Dartmouth 77-55. We wanted Princeton to lose because they're Harvard's competition for the Ivy League title and NCAA Tournament bid.
It was a small schedule last night, and everything went as expected.
Looks like The Matrix isn't going to update before tonight's relevant games start, so the table below comes from yesterday's update.
Per the Bracket Matrix:
|Bids||Bubble In||Bubble Out||Change|
|Big East||11||Marq (10)|
|SEC||5||Tenn (9), UGa (10),||Bama||Bama out.|
|Big Ten||6||Mich (12), MSU (10), Ill (9)||Minn, PSU|
|ACC||5||Clemson (12), BC (12), VT (11), FSU (9)||Mary|
|Big 12||5||Neb, Bay, Colo, OkSt|
|Pac-10||3||Wash (9), UCLA (8)||USC, Washington St.|
|Atlantic 10||3||Richmond (11)|
|Mountain West||3||UNLV (8)||Colo St|
|West Coast||2||Zaga (12), St Mary's (11)|
|Colonial||2||George Mason (8), Old Domin (8)||VCU|
|CUSA||2||Memphis (12), UAB (11)||USM, UTEP, Marsh, UCF|
|WAC||1||Utah State (9)|
|Horizon||1||Butler (12)||Cleve St, UW-Mil|
|Summit||1||1-bid Oakland (13)|
|Ivy||1||1-bid Princeton (13)||Harvard|
Chart doesn't include last night's results.
Big day. General rule: cheer against bubble teams, and for past Michigan opponents.
- Kansas @ Missouri (Noon, CBS). The Jayhawks are a past Michigan opponent, so you want them to win.
- Virginia Tech @ Clemson (Noon, ESPN2). These are both bubble teams, but Virginia Tech has a stronger resume right now and Clemson is also a past Michigan opponent. Pull HARD for the Tigers.
- Indiana @ Illinois (Noon, BTN). You want Indiana to stay above the 200 RPI threshold, so Michigan's loss to them isn't as bad. Plus, the Wolverines own a win over Indiana but not Illinois. This game could also hurt the Illini's psyche before a possible first-round BTT matchup with Michigan. HOWEVA, Indiana ain't gon' win, so don't worry about it.
- Duquesne @ Richmond (Noon). The Spiders are a bubble team, and you want the Dukes to do everything in their power to change that.
- Georgia @ Alabama (1:30, ESPN3). Both are bubble teams, but the Bulldogs are slightly stronger right now, and you want Alabama to knock them down to their level - especially since the Tide probably lost their main at-large chance against Florida the other night.
- Iowa State @ Kansas State (1:30, ESPN3). Iowa State has no shot at an at-large bid, so you want them to do as much damage as possible to Kansas State.
- Oregon @ Arizona (2:00, CBS). Haha, most of you have to watch this instead of a game that more than 8 people care about. CBS hates you.
- Virginia @ Maryland (2:00, ESPN3). Root for the Hoos to end Maryland's chances to get an at-large.
- UTEP @ SMU (3:00). Though UTEP is a fellow bubble team, they're a past Michigan opponent so you want them to do well. If the MSU game isn't going so hot, switch allegiances to SMU, I guess.
- Purdue @ Iowa (4:00, ESPN). You want Iowa to spring the upset and stay in the RPI top 200 (not gonna happen).
- Tulane @ Memphis (4:00). The Green wave can end Memphis's hopes to pick up an at-large bid by saddling them with a bad loss.
- Oklahoma State @ Oklahoma (4:00, ESPN3). Oklahoma State is on the bubble fringe, but the Sooners can end that on their senior day.
- UNLV @ Utah (4:00). The Runnin' Rebels are solidly in the tournament, but Utah is a past Michigan opponent.
- UCLA @ Washington State (5:30). The Bruins are solidly in the tournament, and can knock off Washington State's run.
- Marquette @ Seton Hall (6:00, ESPN3). Marquette is sliding after Wednesday's loss to Cincinnati, and this could finish them.
- Princeton @ Harvard (7:00, ESPN3). The Ivy League's website breaks down title scenarios. You are a HUGE Harvard fan in this one (see top section of this post).
- Southern Utah v. Oakland (7:00). Past Michigan opponent Grizzlies kick off their conference tournament.
- UCF @ Marshall (7:00). Both teams are on the bubble, so root for UCF because they're a little further behind.
- East Carolina @ UAB (8:00). UAB is on the bubble, and you want East Carolina to knock them off it.
- Southern Miss @ Tulsa (8:00). Same goes for this game.
- Texas @ Baylor (9:00, ESPN). You want Texas to permanently knock Baylor out of the running for a bubble spot.
- Nebraska @ Colorado (9:00). Both bubble teams, root for the weaker one.
- Colorado State @ San Diego State (10:00). The Aztecs can knock Colorado State off the bubble.
- Canisius v. Rider (10:00, ESPN3). Least important game on the docket, since both schools are highly unlikely to get anything other than an autobid. Get good karma by rooting on John Beilein's old team, though.
- USC @ Washington (10:30). Since USC lost Thursday night, they're going to miss the tournament. Root for them to weaken Washington on their way out.
- Buffalo @ Bowling Green. The Falcons are a past Michigan opponent, and you want them to end up as respectable as possible.
Tons of games today, but remember that most of them mean nothing unless the maize-and-blue can emerge victorious over MSU.
Go Blue Wear Maize Beat State.
I don't think much of Joe Luniardi, but he thinks Michigan upsets Sparty tomorrow at the Crisler Arena and books a spot in the tourney.
I hope he is right on this one.
Looks like everyone hates Sparty! Muhaha
I feel like Charlie Sheen after 5 PM..this game cannot come quickly enough
Michigan's recent surge on the hardwood has led to speculation that we're in great position with a win Saturday against MSU. Here's a blind resume look at past and present tourney fates.
|TEAM||RECORD||RPI||BEST WIN(RPI)||WORST LOSS(RPI)||SOS|
|Team A||23-8(10-7)||59||@ #33; 88-82||@. #125; 80-60||133|
|Team B||21-12(9-7)||56||v. #14; 75-62||v. #211; 67-66||36|
|Team C||21-13(9-9)||62||v. #12; 82-73||v. #222; 74-77||37|
|Team D||19-10(9-7)||39||v. #24; 96-92||N #99; 83-62||30|
|Team E||23-11(9-7)||55||v. #26; 62-52||@#159; 67-62||74|
Team A (VaTech) did not make the tournament, Team B (Florida) made it as a 10 seed, Team C (Minnesota) made it as an 11 seed, Team D (Wake Forest) received a 9 seed, Team E (Miss. St.) did not make it. Of these five teams, Michigan's resume (RPI: 58, SOS: 24) most closely resembles that of Minnesota's for this year. However, we are missing the big win, similar to the one they had over Purdue. So a 2nd win against MSU on Saturday seems necessary.
|TEAM||RECORD||RPI||BEST WIN(RPI)||WORST LOSS(RPI)||SOS|
|Team A||19-10(7-8)||73||v. #14; 70-67||@ #159; 72-71||67|
|Team B||18-12(8-9)||39||v. #9; 79-67||v. #284; 57-54||13|
|Team C||20-9(9-6)||35||v. #12; 77-70||v. #33; 59-57||31|
|Team D||18-12(8-9)||57||@#43; 61-57||@ #177; 80-61||22|
|Team E||18-11(8-7)||40||N #30; 67-65||v. #154; 75-67||18|
|Team F||23-7(12-3)||60||N #6; 65-54||N #169; 67-54||151|
|Team G||19-10(9-8)||69||#34 x2; 87-80, 80-69||@ #152; 69-43||88|
Team A is Nebraska, Team B is Illinois, Team C is Georgia, Team D is, of course, Michigan, Team E is Boston College, Team F is Richmond and Team G is Washington State who will be without star guard Klay Thompson on Saturday against UCLA due to a charge for possessing the sticky icky. The surprising one here is B.C. whose resume is much better than I thought. Illinois and Georgia are considered somewhat solidly in as of right now. Richmond, Michigan and B.C. are in, but not by much and Nebraska is out, along with WSU.
In conclusion, with three more spots this year, it seems evident that Michigan can almost certainly lock up a spot with a win against MSU. To our benefit, a lot of the teams from the 2011 blind resume have limped down the stretch. Today is the perfect opportunity for UofM to solidify a spot.
the Trailer for the fab 5 movie is out but its a little short.
it wont embed but heres the link