a terrible blight on our fine country
These comments from Mike Kramer (Idaho St. HC, rival coach) resonated, particularly given the 2014 Michigan OL (young, not dominant) and QB situation (D. Gardner) for 2014:
"He was wickedly effective as a quarterback at Idaho, and he never really played behind a dominant offensive front,'' Kramer said. "But he played in a dynamic offense where he had some pretty good receivers, and a couple of really good running backs. He was about as effective, as accurate, as smart, as tough and as competitive as any of the great quarterbacks this league had in the late '80s and early '90s.''
Then there was this:
On top of being one of the premier passers in league history, he also holds the distinction of being the first quarterback in league history to throw for 10,000 yards and rush for 1,000 in his career. There have been just two others to accomplish the feat since.
"Idaho always tried to keep their tight ends in protection, along with their running backs,'' Kramer said. "A lot of teams would go with a three-man rush and drop guys into coverage to cover their receivers, who were all over the place. Not many teams were willing to play man-to-man at that time. Any time it was a three-man rush, Nussmeier was running the ball. It was excellent coaching. He took advantage of a great system, and he totally utilized all of his talents to come up with stratospheric numbers in terms of completions, passes, attempts, touchdowns and touchdown/interception ratio. He was one of the most effective and efficient players that I've ever had the opportunity to coach against.''
Also note at the bottom of the article:
Alabama assistant coaches are prohibited from media interviews, so Nussmeier was unable to talk to the Big Sky for this story.
All interviews Sabanned.
“@LongStrider86: any names come to mind for a good fit as michigan's new OC?” I know and so will you very soon. And you'll be pleased— Kirk Herbstreit (@KirkHerbstreit) January 9, 2014
Second Herbstreit tweet (I am editing out the Balas tweet because he is a douchecanoe. Can I say douchecanoe on the internet? After further review, yes I can. Mods can censor if they want.):
NFL Assistant has been tossed around a lot: Herbstreit's tweet says it is a current OC in college
- TomVH tweeted about John McNulty, but not sure if he has any inside info (no longer relevant)
- @CoachingSearch, who is pretty well known in the profession, dropped the names of Lane Kiffin, John McNulty, Mike Groh, and Randy Fichtner
- Sam Webb seems to know who it is, but isn't giving it away. According to the other mgoblog thread (h/t jack daniels), Sam hints that it is NOT Loeffler, Terry Malone, Parrish, Groh, Kiffin, Bloomgren, Treadwell, or Chudzinski.
- According to mgouser Amutnal, the hire will be announced tomorrow.
- Here's a link to another interesting mgouser comment about a well-known school's OC being hired. Prepare to posbang or negbang him after the fact.
Per al.com, former Michigan player and quarterbacks coach, Scot Loeffler, has been named Offensive Coordinator at Auburn University.
Congrats to him!