LIST OF WWE PERSONNEL?!?
#7 Michigan vs #3 Western Michigan (U-M wins series 2-0)
-Michigan came out of the locker room and totally dominated Western from start to finish 5-1 to advance to Joe Louis Arena for the 24th(!) straight season. they are absolutely ROLLING at the moment. They outshot WMU 29-23 going 1-3 on the PP while killing off all 5 WMU power plays. Racine was fantastic in goal. Kevin Lynch, Sinelli, DeBlois, and Guptill (who had 2) were the M goal scorers. Western Michigan was #13 in the pairwise and these two losses probably eliminate them from the NCAA Tournament.
#9 Bowling Green vs #2 Notre Dame (ND wins series 2-0)
-Notre Dame completes the sweep by holding off Bowling Green 4-3 in South Bend. ND outshot BG 34-32. Both teams converted two power plays each. ND scored twice in the first and were answered by two BG goals in the second. ND took another two goal lead with 8 minutes to go, but BG scored 13 seconds later to make things interesting. However, Notre Dame held them off the scoreboard the rest of the way to advance to Joe Lous next weekend.
#5 Ferris State vs #4 Ohio State (series tied 1-1)
-Ohio State fought off elimination tonight by beating Ferris 3-1. Ferris scored 3 minutes into the game but could not put anymore into the OSU net as the Buckeyes would score the next three for force a game three tomorrow evening in Columbus. Ohio State outshot Ferris 38-28. Both teams coverted one power play each.
#11 Michigan State vs #1 Miami (series tied 1-1)
- MSU scored 20 seconds into the game, but Miami scored the next 4 to even their best of three series at one. Miami dominated most of the game outshooting State 37-17. Miami failed on their only power play of the game (a 5 minute major) while State scored on 1 of 4. Miami did score shorthanded though. Game 3 will take place tomorrow evening in Oxford.
Michigan and Notre Dame have already punched tickets to Joe Louis next weekend, but will have to wait until tomorrow night to see who they will play:
- Miami and Ohio State win: U-M vs Miami and ND vs OSU
- Miami and Ferris State win: U-M vs Miami and ND vs FSU
- Michigan State and Ohio State win: U-M vs OSU and ND vs MSU
- Michigan State and Ferris State win: U-M vs FSU and ND vs MSU
I will post the final matchups tomorrow once the two game threes go final. Both Semifinals should be televised on Fox Sports Detroit (last I checked), but times will be determined later in the week.
#7 Michigan vs #3 Western Michigan (U-M leads 1-0)
- As most of you probably know, Michigan came out strong, weathered a 2nd period storm, and scored in the third to take Game 1 of the best of three series. Michigan out shot WMU 30-18. U-M was 1-4 on the PP while WMU was 0-4. PDG, Selman, and Trouba (who had 2) were the Michigan goal scorers. Racine had a decent game in net and made a few big stops.
#9 Bowling Green vs #2 Notre Dame (ND leads 1-0)
- Notre Dame took game one in their best of three against BGSU with a 1-0 win in overtime. ND outshot BG 36-22 with Bryan Rust scoring the game's only goal 1:22 into overtime. 9 total penalties, none converted.
#5 Ferris State vs #4 Ohio State (FSU leads 1-0)
- Ferris got the road win in Columbus 4-2 despite being outshot 30-22. Each team converted one power play. Ferris scored the last three goals of the game to win.
#11 Michigan State vs #1 Miami (MSU leads 1-0) <lol
-Michigan State claims the upset of the night in college hockey by shutting out Miami in Oxford 3-0. Miami outshot MSU 34-24, but MSU scored twice in the first before adding a third in the last minute of the game. Only three penalties in the game and none of them were converted. State is trying to advance to Joe Louis Arena as the bottom seed in the league which also happened last year when BGSU beat Ferris before losing to Michigan in the semifinals. I know we all feel bad for The Dynasty.
Game 2's occur tomorrow night for each series. The Michigan game will not be on TV. Western is offering a stream for a fee and Michigan should have their radio crew there to be streamed at mgoblue.com tomorrow for free.
Hopefully the hockey team can continue its success in the new year.
Edit: Grammar correction
Not sure the science behind this study, but Yost is ranked 4th best hockey arena in Michigan. I will say it is nice to see MacInnes get the respect is deserves.
Personal Top 5
MacInnes, Yost, Lawson, Joe Louis (during playoffs), and Van Andel
Feel free to discuss.
Edit: Also for further explination of how teams were ranked, you have to click on the links of each arena.
Happy 73rd birthday to Michigan Hockey coach Red Berenson!
For a nice summary of his college and pro careers, have a look at this.
Here's Red in his younger days coaching the Maize and Blue:
And here's the "Red Baron" in his even younger days as a member of the Red Wings:
Red is 5th in all-time NCAA wins as a coach and led Michigan to national titles in 1995-96 and 1997-98.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, RED!