Meram is scoring some sweet-ass goals of late
First triple double against big ten competition in UM history! Congrats to Darius and to the team which played real well (on offense) today.
For something different...
I have been impressed with the way that Beilein has developed Darius Morris and Matt Vogrich. Before the season started, I posted that I thought those two would end up being busts and didn't deserve their recruiting rankings. Raoul called me out on that and he seems to have been right.
The change in Morris is pretty obvious. He's gone from a guy who was essentially phased out of the rotation last year to the unquestioned go to guy on the team. I didn't see that coming at all.
Vogrich is a little more subtle, but to me is an even more impressive accomplishment for Beilein. Last year, Vogrich looked completely outmatched physically. His stat line is not overwhelming, but he has become a solid contributor in 10-15 minutes a game and is no longer a massive defensive liability.
After Amaker's tenure, I got used to seeing what a player did in his freshman year and just accepting that it was what we had for four years. The improvement of Morris and Vogrich from year one to year two, coupled with the fact that Novak and Douglass are solid Big Ten players given their recruiting profile has me excited about the future. Anyway, when someone asks why Beilein isn't on the hot seat, I think "player development" has to be one of the first answers.
I searched - I did not find.
Why the HELL does Doyle of the BTN refer to Darius Morris as "the Butterfly?"
Next years Bball season could be a long one, and I was wondering who people think will be in the starting 5 next season?
G: Darius Morris
G: Stu Douglass
Here's a few notes about the 'Rage meeting from tonight, if anyone's interested:
Darius Morris was a surprise guest this week; he had a few legitimate ideas and the rest of the meeting wasn't awkward at all.
Some ideas passed around/details:
- One idea pushed around was to create an alternate sound track for when the opposing team is warming up on court and our players are in the locker room, which is usually about a five to ten minute period before the game. The sound track would include inspirational tunes like "Party in the USA" and "It's Raining Men".
- Morris said he really liked what Indiana does when the opposing team shoots free throws (their fans had dozens of huge signs with random people's faces on them, not sure on specific details)
- There's a drive for more stunt ideas for the student section, so if you have ideas, share if you want.
- Crisler ranks as the 14th hardest place to play in the country this year and the goal is to be #1, which has been a repeated point so far.
- Morris also said something along the lines of: "Beilein loves you guys, he's always excited to know you'll be there and we really appreciate it"
P.S. If anyone who lives in the A2 area has a copy of the HBO Michigan-Ohio State documentary, Markley Hall needs a copy to do a mass showing to all the freshmen who don't really "get it."