"I love it that Ivy League coaches are coming to our camp and Big Ten coaches are coming to our camp. South Florida is coming. We've got about 70 schools that are coming to our camp."
Coverage starts at 2:00pm, TV is Fox Sports Detroit, Free radio link on MGoBlue.com
This is the final CCHA Championship, Michigan going for their 10th Playoff Title, and to extend their NCAA Tournament streak to 23 years.
The tournament streak is only over when we decide it is over, LETS GO BLUE!!!!
#7 Michigan swept #3 Western Michigan
#2 Notre Dame swept #9 Bowling Green
#11 Michigan State vs #1 Miami (Redhawks wins series 2-1)
- It was a very good effort by a team that was mostly an embarrassment for the entire season, but Miami took the best of three series with a 4-1 win in the deciding game against the Spartans. Michigan State will be losing sleep over five penalties to Miami in a row, that also included two 5x3's, and only converting once. Miami outshot MSU 35-19 and both teams converted once on the PP. Miami advances as the top seed back to Joe Louis Arena. Miami will make the NCAAs no matter what happens at Joe Lous this weekend, they are only going to be playing for seeding.
#5 Ferris State vs #4 Ohio State (OSU wins series 2-1)
- Ferris State dominated the shot clock and large portions of play during the game, but could not come away with a win in the deciding game three in Columbus. Ohio State overcame a 2-1 deficit to advance to the semifinals despite getting outshot 49-27. Ohio State cashed in twice on the PP while Ferris did not convert either of their chances. Last year's national finalists will not qualify for the NCAA Tournament. OSU advances to Joe Louis for the first time in seven years and looks to need to win the conference title to qualify for the NCAAs.
Semifinal Matchups at Joe Louis Arena on Saturday
#7 Michigan vs #1 Miami (just like in 2010, I have a good feeling about this)
#4 Ohio State vs #2 Notre Dame
Both games will be televised on Fox Sports Detroit +, times are TBD
#7 Michigan vs #3 Western Michigan (U-M wins series 2-0)
-Michigan came out of the locker room and totally dominated Western from start to finish 5-1 to advance to Joe Louis Arena for the 24th(!) straight season. they are absolutely ROLLING at the moment. They outshot WMU 29-23 going 1-3 on the PP while killing off all 5 WMU power plays. Racine was fantastic in goal. Kevin Lynch, Sinelli, DeBlois, and Guptill (who had 2) were the M goal scorers. Western Michigan was #13 in the pairwise and these two losses probably eliminate them from the NCAA Tournament.
#9 Bowling Green vs #2 Notre Dame (ND wins series 2-0)
-Notre Dame completes the sweep by holding off Bowling Green 4-3 in South Bend. ND outshot BG 34-32. Both teams converted two power plays each. ND scored twice in the first and were answered by two BG goals in the second. ND took another two goal lead with 8 minutes to go, but BG scored 13 seconds later to make things interesting. However, Notre Dame held them off the scoreboard the rest of the way to advance to Joe Lous next weekend.
#5 Ferris State vs #4 Ohio State (series tied 1-1)
-Ohio State fought off elimination tonight by beating Ferris 3-1. Ferris scored 3 minutes into the game but could not put anymore into the OSU net as the Buckeyes would score the next three for force a game three tomorrow evening in Columbus. Ohio State outshot Ferris 38-28. Both teams coverted one power play each.
#11 Michigan State vs #1 Miami (series tied 1-1)
- MSU scored 20 seconds into the game, but Miami scored the next 4 to even their best of three series at one. Miami dominated most of the game outshooting State 37-17. Miami failed on their only power play of the game (a 5 minute major) while State scored on 1 of 4. Miami did score shorthanded though. Game 3 will take place tomorrow evening in Oxford.
Michigan and Notre Dame have already punched tickets to Joe Louis next weekend, but will have to wait until tomorrow night to see who they will play:
- Miami and Ohio State win: U-M vs Miami and ND vs OSU
- Miami and Ferris State win: U-M vs Miami and ND vs FSU
- Michigan State and Ohio State win: U-M vs OSU and ND vs MSU
- Michigan State and Ferris State win: U-M vs FSU and ND vs MSU
I will post the final matchups tomorrow once the two game threes go final. Both Semifinals should be televised on Fox Sports Detroit (last I checked), but times will be determined later in the week.
#7 Michigan vs #3 Western Michigan (U-M leads 1-0)
- As most of you probably know, Michigan came out strong, weathered a 2nd period storm, and scored in the third to take Game 1 of the best of three series. Michigan out shot WMU 30-18. U-M was 1-4 on the PP while WMU was 0-4. PDG, Selman, and Trouba (who had 2) were the Michigan goal scorers. Racine had a decent game in net and made a few big stops.
#9 Bowling Green vs #2 Notre Dame (ND leads 1-0)
- Notre Dame took game one in their best of three against BGSU with a 1-0 win in overtime. ND outshot BG 36-22 with Bryan Rust scoring the game's only goal 1:22 into overtime. 9 total penalties, none converted.
#5 Ferris State vs #4 Ohio State (FSU leads 1-0)
- Ferris got the road win in Columbus 4-2 despite being outshot 30-22. Each team converted one power play. Ferris scored the last three goals of the game to win.
#11 Michigan State vs #1 Miami (MSU leads 1-0) <lol
-Michigan State claims the upset of the night in college hockey by shutting out Miami in Oxford 3-0. Miami outshot MSU 34-24, but MSU scored twice in the first before adding a third in the last minute of the game. Only three penalties in the game and none of them were converted. State is trying to advance to Joe Louis Arena as the bottom seed in the league which also happened last year when BGSU beat Ferris before losing to Michigan in the semifinals. I know we all feel bad for The Dynasty.
Game 2's occur tomorrow night for each series. The Michigan game will not be on TV. Western is offering a stream for a fee and Michigan should have their radio crew there to be streamed at mgoblue.com tomorrow for free.
So I went to the game and of course I was accompanied by my trusty camera. Neither the team or my camera let me down. As always, posted on my blog.
With Bowling Green's epic double overtime (!) shocker over Northern Michigan the Second Round matchups are set for the CCHA Tournament. It sounded like an epic game from the BGSU radio viewpoint.
The matchups are (Best of Three Series March 11-13th):
#1 Michigan hosts #11 Bowling Green in Ann Arbor
#2 Notre Dame hosts #8 Lake Superior State in South Bend
#3 Miami hosts #7 Alaska in Oxford
#4 Western Michigan hosts #5 Ferris State in Kalamazoo.
The four winners will advance to the CCHA Semifinals at Joe Louis Arena the following weekend. The teams that advance will be reseeded.
Check MFan_in_Ohio's diary for a guide on who to root for in terms of pairwise for Michigan.
This will be the last series at Yost in my student career...damn that is depressing as hell
*Side Note: Michigan Basketball Quarterfinal game against Illinois is at 2:30(ish) on Friday and if they advance, 1:40 on Saturday. These are the nights of the first two games of the CCHA Quarterfinals which will take place at 7:35 each night. All of this means that Basketball and Hockey will NOT be on at the same time. Yeah, we all got lucky here!