We all have our gameday routines, right, but what do you do when you're already on your way to the Big House and you feel a sudden urge for great barbeque or a cold pint? Head to the south end of Elbel Field and visit Detroit's own Slows Bar BQ food truck and a Charity Beer Garden hosted by the local Cancer Support Community (100% of beer revenue goes to the CSC).
Closest beer to the Big House...and for a great cause!
Find it at 327 E. Hoover Ave., adjacent to Elbel Field and immediately east of the railroad tracks.
What to expect when you arrive:
- Slows Bar BQ, a Detroit destination, parked a block from the Big House
- 10 taps flowing with local craft beers (bottled water if you need a non-alcoholic thirst quencher)
- indoor seating in a warehouse converted into a yard bar: LED string lights, ceiling fans, community tables...you know the deal
- two big screen TV's showing College GameDay, the early game, the Michigan game, and the late game
- an atmosphere welcoming to home and visiting fans
- family-friendly--yes you can bring your kids
- don't want to carry too much cash--yes, you can use credit cards
- open before, during and after the game
- and yes...bathrooms
Eat and drink for charity!
I thought this might be right up some MGoUser's alley - the Smithsonian Museum of American History is hiring a brew taster/historian to travel the country for three years. This guy (or gal) will taste local craft brews and write reports about them. From the story:
No, you don’t have to document beer from the dawn of time. This position is part of the Smithsonian’s food history initiative. The beer industry was all but extinct after Prohibition. It took years for not only the industry, but American beer consumption to rebound to what it was prior to 1919. For this position, the candidate will focus the American brewing industry from the 1960’s forward.
Sadly, its not just taste testing. The Smithsonian being a museum, and all, they will want you to actually provide museum quality content, I suppose... But its a 3-yr gig at ~$60K/yr, maybe some newly minted PhD could use a job? Here's the job app...
I got home a little bit ago, grabbed three Octoberfests, and poured them in my giant stein. Fuck it! I'm staring early. I also threw Denard '14 in the 360 and continued my dynasty. Let's go.
EDIT: I originally posted this as a diary. I'm sorry. Thank you, acnumber1.
A big thanks to everyone who attended MGoBlog Football Eve last night at Ashley's. I was really grateful to meet each of you and would love to do it again next year.
We may need to find a bigger venue as the 50+ people definitely exceeded the fire marshal limit for Ashley's basement.
11 hours until kickoff! GO BLUE!