spoiler alert: i linked this
To begin the season Michigan has a win over a pretty good Long Beach State team. 4 wins against awful Sienna, and one from a not very good Tennessee Tech team.
In the national picture their hitting ranks 62nd in average and has been good enough to keep them in most of their games. Pitching hasn't been as bad as the numbers indicate, but since we're so early in the season the 7 run outing against Long Beach State and 16 in two games against TTU make them look worse than they are.
Players Of Note
- Jacob Cronenworth: 1st baseman and closer. Bats leadoff, holding opponents to a .077 average with 1 hit allowed.
- Jackson Glines: The team's best hitter and leader in most stat categories. Hits the ball a lot, gets on base and is driven in more than anyone else on the team
- Cody Bruder - Carmen Benedetti: RBI leaders. Middle of the order run producers
- Keith Lehmann: Starting pitcher. 5 walks, 13 stikeouts, 2.13 ERA
- Eric Jacobson: Cleanup hitter, Michigan's only consistent bottom of the order bat.
Batting order lists most recent lineup position.
Pitchers below 3 innings not charted
At Stetson Hatters (7-5)
Tuesday, March 3rd, 6:30PM
The Hatters have played every game save one at their home field in Florida, hosting CMU, LaSalle, FIU and Penn.
Since dropping 2-of-3 to LaSalle to open the year. Stetson is 6-3 and they've been tearing the cover off the ball.
Players Of Note
- Patrick Mazeika: A .250 hitter so far this year who doesn't stike out with 12 walks, 4 home runs and has been plunked 4 times. Mazeika was an All-American two years ago as a freshman and hit .382 last season.
- Josh Powers-Vance Vizcaino: Leading run producers, high average hitters
- Kevin Fagan: Hitting .288 with 9 batted in. Freshman All-American in 2013
- Brooks Wilson: 4-0 record as a starter, 2.76 ERA.
Friday, March 6th, 3:00pm
I know nothing about this team because they have had 5 games cancelled and 2 postponed. UMBC plays in the America East conference and has finished at or near the bottom for the last 5 years.
Saturday, March 7th, 11:00AM
The Rockets have played like your average midwest team trekking through the south. Their pitching staff gave up 33 runs in 3 games to start the season, then 11 against Winthrop, 9 to open their series against VT and another 9 to finish it. They haven't particularly hit well either.
Players Of Note
- AJ Montoya - Ryan Callahan - Matt Hansen - John Martillotta
All four players have 4 RBI, which is the most on the team.
Coastal Carolina (7-4)
Saturday, March 7th, 3:00PM
The tournament host, CCU has wins over Georgia Tech, NC State and an assortment of northern teams. Bad losses to Kent State, Illinois and Canisius. They can hit but stikeout a lot. Pitching has been shaky.
Players Of Note
- Connor Owings: A .351 hitter on the year with 10 batted in, 2 home runs and 8 walks. 1st Team All-Big South a year ago.
- Anthony Marks: Team leader in OBP (.487), 7 RBI, .295 average
- Michael Paez: Low average hitter. Leads the team in runs scored (10) and in doubles (5). 7 RBI.
- Alex Cunningham: Coming off elbow surgery, has started 2-0 with a 2.89 ERA. 17 strikeouts, 5 walks, holding batters to a .185 average.
Sunday, March 8th, 11:00AM
The Zips aren't off to a bad start. They took 2-of-3 from Furman and 2-of-3 from Charlotte, before going 1-of-3 at the Mercer Baseball Classic with a win over Belmont and losses to Notre Dame and Mercer.
They started the season hitting well but have cooled off. Pitching is alright.
Players Of Note
- Dom Iero: .313 hitter with more RBI than hits, .400 OBP
- Daulton Mosbarger: Hitting .303 with 3 doubles, 1 home run and 8 batted in. Leads the team in walks (6) and OBP (.439)
- Jon Pusateri: Lowest ERA of the Akron starters with a 3.00, 9 strikeouts, 3 walks in 15.0 innings thrown.
Detroit just took a 1-0 lead over Cleveland in a very big mid-September game at Comerica, as JD Martinez continues to assault Cleveland pitching. The 22nd homer of the season for JD (I believe that 7 of them have been vs. the Indians) came with two out in the 4th. Justin Verlander has been pitching well so far, no serious threats by Cleveland so far. Verlander's pitch count after 4 is 65, it would be great to get 7 solid innings out of him before handing it to the bullpen.
Did anyone catch the game last night? Fun game to listen to I drove those 2 1/2 hours home from The Big House! Avila put a charge into one for a 2-run shot with two out in the bottom of the 8th, and Joe Nathan wiggled out of a self-induced jam in the 9th for the save. The win kept Detroit a half-game ahead of the Royals. Just 15 games remaining on the schedule for Detroit, including 3 the final weekend at KC.
As I finish this OP, Verlander in a bit of a jam in the 5th, one out, runners at the corners.
[Edit: Correction on the upcoming schedule (thank you, BlueinLansing!)---the Tigers finish as follows, after today:
This coming week: 3 at Minny, starting tomorrow, then a bye Thursday before heading to KC for 3 next weekend.
The final week: 3 at Comerica vs. the White Sox, then the season-ending (Thursday thru Sunday) 4 games at home vs. the Twins.]
Men's Cross Country
First year under new head coach Kevin Sullivan
Ranked #22 in pre-season poll.
Opened with a non-scoring Michigan Open, where they mostly just ran as a group.
Stated as heading to Kentucky Invitational in Lexington this Saturday but for some reason it's not listed on their schedule. Black and Gold Invitational in Iowa City on September 20th would be next.
The #5 seed Michigan Wolverines take on the #1 seed Indiana Hoosies tonight in the Big Ten Tournament. Indiana beat #8 Iowa 5-2 yesterday while Michigan beat #4 Minnesota 3-2 with a 3-run Home Run by Travis Maezes being Michigan's only source of income. Michigan has lost to Indiana twice but beaten them once. Indiana is good but Michigan can win if we play well. Brett Adcock will be on the mound for Michigan.
Most here probably missed it, but the LA Dodgers took the NL West divisional lead overnight by beating the Arizona Diamondbacks 3-1, Clayton Kershaw getting the "W" in a game played 'down under' in Australia.
The two teams play again tonight, this one at a more normal time for us to watch west coast teams play, at 10pm EDT. It'll again be broadcast on MLB Network, in case anyone needs a break from wall-to-wall NCAA Tournament action.
(edited @ 3:38pm to fix thread title)
So the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs have mastered marketing to an extent I could not even believe. They've started a new uniform design marketing campaign called "Smell the Change."
The new Saturday jersey is amazing. It's bacon themed. We're talking a red shirt with Pigs spelled out and bacon underlining it. We're talking white pants with bacon piping down the legs. We're talking a gray hat with a slice of bacon as the logo. Bacon. Bacon bacon.
And we're not stopping there. They have a gray shirt with the bacon logo on it for $18. For just $4 more, we're talking $22, they'll sell you the same shirt that smells like bacon! For up to 10-15 washes! CAN I GET A DOZEN NOW?